Thread: how much mph does the river flow add????

IMPATIENT 1
    a buddy oh mine is bragging about picking up 8mph over the weekend with a loader change. prob is his 1st gps #'s are on a lake, his new 1's are on a large river am i the only 1 thinking the river may be flowing 7mph and the gps accounted for it what's your opinion??

Danhercules
    I would say yes. Not 8 MPH though. I have floated around laughin and the GPS was around 5mph.

uvindex
    what's your opinion??The guy should do two passes, one upstream and one downstream, then average them. This will account for current (and wind, another factor). He's gonna BS you either way, however, so you should be present when he does it.

The guy should do two passes, one upstream and one downstream, then average them. This will account for current (and wind, another factor). He's gonna BS you either way, however, so you should be present when he does it.
    Exactly.
    8mph would be pretty fast current. 3-5 isn't unheard of though depending on location.

Not So Fast
    Exactly.
    8mph would be pretty fast current. 3-5 isn't unheard of though depending on location.
    And if you could find it, if it was salt water at sea level add some more MPH. :idea: NSF

ratso
    What if it was on a treadmill?

Captain Dan
    Now if the river were on a treadmill.........

IMPATIENT 1
    lol, our local lake has a river runnin into it(kiamichi river) and a few wks back when the river was high and moving some water, my gps showed 8mph sitting still in a flat bottom bass boat i think we got 50 on the way down the river,lol.

hkunz
    The Colorado river, up by Needles, has a curent of as much as 5 MPH or as low as 3.5 MPH (on GPS). Also known as "drift", like in set and drift. Further down, where it widens out some, the fastest I've seen is 3.8 to 4 MPH on GPS. I've actually gotten the best speeds out of my boats going upriver, however - this had more to do with time of day/year than current - at 7AM in October the air temp is much cooler than in the summer going downriver. The fact that the river is EMPTY at 7AM in October allowed me to see how fast the boat would go.