Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil?

jetboat
    after engine break-in,using rotella,whats the oil of choice?itsits a 466 ford around475/500hp.

When You Say Break In. Do You Mean After Initial Start Up (20- 30 Min) Or Do Mean The Motor Is Completly Broken In. Once It's Completly Broke In I Think Most Everyone Will Say Synthetic(spelling?) Which Brings Up Another Question I Have How Many Hours Till You Would Consider. Broke In?

Phosphorus is the key component for valve train protection in an engine, and 1600ppm (parts per million) used to be the standard for phosphorus in engine oil. In 1996 that was dropped to 800ppm and then more recently to 400ppm - a quarter of the original spec. Valvetrains and their components are not especially cheap to replace and this drop in phosphorus content has been a problem for many engines. In the US, Mobil 1 originally came out with the 0W40 as a 'European Formula' as it was always above 1000 ppm. This initially got them out of the 1996 800ppm jam and knowledgeable consumers sought it out for obvious reasons. Their 15W50 has also maintained a very high level of phosphorus and all of the extended life Mobil synthetics now have at least 1000ppm. How do they get away with this? They're not classified as energy/fuel conserving oils and thus do not interfere with the precious government CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) ratings. This also means that they don't get the coveted ratings of other oils but they do protect your valvetrain.

WOW that sounded good.
    I always use Delo 15w40, or Mobil 1 15w40 extended performance.
    as far as break in just make sure your rings are fully seated
    www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
    good reading here..

gr16241
    Delo 15w-40 is a great choice or stay with the Rotella. I run the Delo from Chevron.

BACK2BIGRIVER
    Do a search on Brad Pen racing oil pretty interesting stuff.

IMPATIENT 1
    after engine break-in,using rotella,whats the oil of choice?itsits a 466 ford around475/500hp.
    lol, your not broke in yet steve the rings have to seat and the cam is still soft till you get some hrs on them runnin in on the trailer at the ramp was just breaking in the cam alittle.i wouldn't change oil till you've got at least 4-5hrs on it in the water.i drained out the rotella from the tx tonite and stuck in good ole castrol 30w.
    did you get the pump stuff done???? get er done and come to broken bow this weekend!!!!

DUCKY
    Someone above mentioned phosphorous as the key valve train protector. I believe the correct term is moly, or molybdenum disulfide.
    Currently, diesel oils such as Rotella and Delo are not required to meet the same BS specs as automotive oils, and thus contain many times more moly. With CARB and the EPA starting to crack down on diesels, this will probably be changing.
    Anyways, we run Rotella 15-40 and a bottle of GM's EOS in the race boats and have had good success. If you are not running a mech. roller cam and lots of spring pressure, the truck oils will probably provide more than adequate protection, we just add the EOS for insurance due to the high spring pressures.
    Studies have shown this combo to be second only to the Joe Gibbs Racing oils.....

IMPATIENT 1
    Someone above mentioned phosphorous as the key valve train protector. I believe the correct term is moly, or molybdenum disulfide.
    Currently, diesel oils such as Rotella and Delo are not required to meet the same BS specs as automotive oils, and thus contain many times more moly. With CARB and the EPA starting to crack down on diesels, this will probably be changing.
    Anyways, we run Rotella 15-40 and a bottle of GM's EOS in the race boats and have had good success. If you are not running a mech. roller cam and lots of spring pressure, the truck oils will probably provide more than adequate protection, we just add the EOS for insurance due to the high spring pressures.
    Studies have shown this combo to be second only to the Joe Gibbs Racing oils.....
    ducky, do you have a p# on the eos, we used to sell it and i used to use it a decade ago, but when we stopped carryin it i ran out. good shiat!!!
    jetboat is runnin a big hyd cam i had doug herbert grind for his motor, i set the springs up at 115 seat, so he really needs to get some lake time on it before it takes a lobe off

1968Droptop
    Too late, DELO has already got the axe, Rotella's next !!! Read the NEW labels, 'low emmision formula'. What a crock !!! Now I have to add the the EOS to my PowerStroke.
    I personally run Valvoline Racing. Get the Not Street Legal stuff, it's full of all the good stuff to protect your engine. Make sure it clearly says Not Street Legel in big yellow letter on the front....good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast