Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil?

What The Hala Is Rotella? Sorry. Is That Oil For Deisels? Isn't Synthetic Better Once Your Brok In (rings Ect). How Many Hour Would You Say Till Your Safe To Run A Synthetic? I Know Hp Loads Ect. Are All Variables. And As Long As I'm Rambling Isn't The Weight Of Oil You Use Kind Of Geared Around Your Oil Temp? I'll Right I'll Stop.

SmokinLowriderSS
    A hundred responses will get you a hundred different answers.
    Today, with modern bore machining and modern moly-plasma coated rings, ring seat and seal is almost immediate. Much different than it was 15 years ago (or longer). Look at how much SMOOTHER the cylinder bores are finish-honed today for moly rings.
    Chrome rings are a different story (but have no use in a boat IMO).
    Yes, Rotella is a Diesel oil, and as such is designed for far MORE HARSH conditions than any gasoline engine can give it. Ruin a diesel running gasoline oil in it. Run a gasoline engine with diesel oil as long as you want.
    Untill recently, ALL MY VEHICLES (except the boat) ran Mystic ( I think it was JT-7) 15w/40 Diesel oil (since 1 truck took 10 qts and I bought 5-gal. buckets at a time).
    I broke my boat engine in on Synthetic, for what it's worth, and had NO PROBLEMS. IMO, once you are beyond a couple hours of running time, if you want to run syn, do it.
    If you are running a moderate strong HYDRAULIC cam, and a 3-piece spring set (like I am), leave the inner spring out untill you get arround 10 hrs on the motor.

BAE_557
    Do a search on Brad Pen racing oil pretty interesting stuff.
    I use Brad Penn Racing Oil, Penn Grade 1 Nitro 70
    Brad Penn (http://www.bradpennracing.com/default.asp)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12