Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU get oil otta the bilge ?

1968Droptop
    I had a small valve cover leak. Seems that even a small leak covers the entire bilge nicely . I know the best way to get oil out of the bilge is to not get it in there in the first place. But now that it's there, what do you guys use to remove it ? I need to find something locally that actually works ? I can't reach every square inch with a mitt. Looking for tips/tricks to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Jetaholic
    I think some guys put water in the bilge mixed with Tide or some other kind of laundry detergent. Then they drive it around the lake all day and let it slosh around in the bilge. Then when they come out of the water they pull the drain plug and let it all drain out.

Oil Eater. Get it at a parts house.

JETBOY03
    hey chris i have a gallon of oil eater i will bring it over. when i come to work on my boat tomorrow

Go to Napa or Wal-mart and buy a gallon or two of simple green. It works AWESOME! Just put your plug in and dump the stuff in and either go drive around on the trailer or go for a boat ride. Come home and drain it on the ground and rinse out. Good to go. Environmentally safe also.

Dawn dish liquid has allways worked for me,
    like jetaholic said, just add a little water and cruise around
    then pull your plug and let it run out. may take a couple of times to get it all out.
    Like on tv " dawn gets grease out of your way"
    or some BS like that.

Cas
    Pour some laundry detergent/water or oil eater into the bilge and just tow the boat around and drain. I will usually bring some of either along with us to the lake, dump it in just before the tow home and drain it out when we get home.
    It's probably not a good idea to dump it in before you go to the lake as your bilge will come on and dump the junk into the lake.

Heatseeker
    Dawn dish liquid has always worked for me...
    That's what I use. I keep a jug of it in the boat. Before I go out, I add a couple of squirts the the bilge. It keeps my bilge nice and clean. The only problem is sometimes in rough water with a full bilge, when you cut the throttle you get foamy water in the passenger area! I guess it keeps the carpet clean too .

Taylorman
    I use a spray can of Gunk engine degreaser. Spray it in and hose it out. I sometimes spray it in when i pull the boat out of the water. Dont pull the drain plug. Spray a whole can of gunk all over the bilge. Let it slosh around on the drive home and pull the plug a few miles before i get home so it all drains out.

Go to Napa or Wal-mart and buy a gallon or two of simple green. It works AWESOME! Just put your plug in and dump the stuff in and either go drive around on the trailer or go for a boat ride. Come home and drain it on the ground and rinse out. Good to go. Environmentally safe also.
    The fire dept. seems to think otherwise in my area, they will not allow E.S. car washing detergent from a bucket after washing a boat go down the drain!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast