Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU get oil otta the bilge ?

The fire dept. seems to think otherwise in my area, they will not allow E.S. car washing detergent from a bucket after washing a boat go down the drain!
    I don't know what E.S. car washing detergent is, but I use the simple green method other people posted here. Simple Green is enviromentaly safe, just like the water in the bildge is, but the oil in there isn't enviromentaly safe. So my recomendation is to follow everyone else's procedure and when you're done driving around dump it in a drain pan and recycle it at a local oil recycling center.

b's sanger
    Hey Chris, try soaking the bildge for a while with Dawn and Oxi Clean. Let it sit over night then flush it out. Repeat if necessary.
    B

1968Droptop
    Thanks for the advice guys, and the laughs Heatseeker. That was the first thought that came to mind, lots-o-suds with Dawn flying around back there. But hell if it works .
    Austin I'll take you up on that oil eater. I think I'll also put a small bottle of Dawn in the detail bag. Just drop a few drops in b/4 boating and let the swells do the work for me.
    On the Tide idea. Isn't that hard on bilge pumps ? I have two of the normal 500gph units on the outside, and a self priming sucking pump for the center. I'd be conserned that the Tide would/could harm the impeller ???

CampbellCarl
    I think this is a question for The Bilge Idiot! Chime in Bilgie!
    CC

West Marine or Boater's World, have bilge socks. Just lay it in the bilge, and it collects oils in the bilge water, keeps the mess to a minimum.

Cas
    West Marine or Boater's World, have bilge socks. Just lay it in the bilge, and it collects oils in the bilge water, keeps the mess to a minimum.
    I had a few of those left over from when the Coast Guard Auxillary came to one of our Tower Park outings and they work great. That little bag will hold something like 2 qts of oil but it won't soak up any water.

1968Droptop
    I had a few of those left over from when the Coast Guard Auxillary came to one of our Tower Park outings and they work great. That little bag will hold something like 2 qts of oil but it won't soak up any water.
    Those sound cool. Are they very big ?

Cas
    the actual socks come in many sizes.
    Here's a link to the 3M product we got from the CGA
    Oil Absorbent Pad (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...eyword=oil+pad)
    the ones we had were about 6"x8" or so.

1968Droptop
    Thanks for the link CAS.
    On a side note, I took jetboy up on that offer to try oil eater. For the first time a product actually does as it claims !!! It worked like a champ, incredible, it actually worked. My pump inside the bilge is nice and white again, just a garden hose needed to get it back to lookin good. THANKS jetboy !!!!

ol guy
    Better to clean properly than dump on the ramp or on the way home. Not a tree hugger but its all haz waste. Oh and by the way disposible diapers work great for absorbtion. Then pine-sol and a rag for the detail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast