Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 ford cam?..

jeff85m
    i am going to rebuild the 460 in my glastron carlson cv 23 this winter. the pump was just rebuilt by dons pump service, "a" impeller with inducer, and place diverter. new motor will have 10.6 to 1 comp. with aluminum motorsport heads. i run a bluethunder dual plane dual quad intake with edelbrock 625's, and msd ignition. i can not change the stock hardin marine logs as there is absolutely no room in the engine compartment or in the rear interior for any change there. my question is what cam to run. it has a comp cams .530 lift flat tappet hydraulic now and turns 4900 rpm @63 mph, with this tight pump. anyone with "hands on" experience i would greatly appreciate your input. comp cams and crane cams suggest 2 way different cams. so what to do? pump premium 93 octane fuel will be used . thanks to all

ol guy
    The cam I have ran ALOT in that sort of configuratin is a CHET HERBERT grind, 224/330- 501-540 lift on a 112 lobe center. Idles like a kitten and comes to life yesterday and in my 460's plus or minus would pull real hard to 5800 rpm. If you want more info post back.M

Squirtin Thunder
    I would recomend the Comp XM 278 and at least port match the entry of the logs. I have seen 3 pair that block more than a third of the flow.

Danhercules
    Contact High Flow Dynamics (lakesonly), he will set you stright. He will build you somthin right!

LakesOnly
    i am going to rebuild the 460 in my glastron carlson cv 23 this winter. the pump was just rebuilt by dons pump service, "a" impeller with inducer, and place diverter. new motor will have 10.6 to 1 comp. with aluminum motorsport heads. i run a bluethunder dual plane dual quad intake with edelbrock 625's, and msd ignition. i can not change the stock hardin marine logs as there is absolutely no room in the engine compartment or in the rear interior for any change there. my question is what cam to run. it has a comp cams .530 lift flat tappet hydraulic now and turns 4900 rpm @63 mph, with this tight pump. anyone with "hands on" experience i would greatly appreciate your input. comp cams and crane cams suggest 2 way different cams. so what to do? pump premium 93 octane fuel will be used . thanks to allHow are you calculating your 10.6:1 compression ratio? What pistons do you have? Do you have Ford Motorsport A429 heads or Kasse SCJ heads? If A429's, what are the serial numbers of the heads (very important)?
    4900 rpm is not particularly bad with the current build and the pump setup....a little more info on your engine's specifics and maybe we can get more rpms out of it, but without more detailed info I personally can't offer any advice...but I will say that I feel the intake and carbs could stand to be replaced.
    Is a simple freshen/upgrade mandatory or will you consider a completely new combination for the rebuild (ie stroker, etc)?
    LO

jeff85m
    my boat came with the ford power otherwise i would have preferred a bbc, however i have grown to love the big blue for its reliability and its uniqueness around here [houston]. i have not gotten the heads yet but they are on the way. they are 74cc combustion chambers, big valves and most importantly 80 lbs. lighter. it takes 3500 rpm to plain, so beteewn idle[900] and 3500 rpm the power is not used. its 3500 on up that i would like to improve on mainly the top rpm and speed. i went with a "b" impeller and slowed down and burned lots of gas so the pump is right. dons pump service put an "a" in it with an inducer so it is much better out of the hole and on fuel. also the intake/ carb setup added trmendous throttle response and acceleration to this rig not doing any other changes. i did have a marinized edelbrock rpm plus with a properly set up holley marine carb. i have learned things the hard way many times before so when i make a change it is with experienced input or a pros advise. the compression is based on keith black hyper whatever pistons combined with the 74 cc combustion chamber, and a .040 felpro gasket. anyway thanks for the input and i feel that the cam selection is the single most important ingrediant to gaining some more rpm which should mean a few more mph. thank you to all.

LakesOnly
    i have not gotten the heads yet but they are on the way. they are 74cc combustion chambers, big valves and most importantly 80 lbs. lighter. the compression is based on keith black hyper whatever pistons combined with the 74 cc combustion chamber, and a .040 felpro gasket. anyway thanks for the input and i feel that the cam selection is the single most important ingrediant to gaining some more rpm which should mean a few more mph. thank you to all. KB flat tops = ~11.5:1
    KB 15cc dish = ~10.6:1
    KB 22 dish = ~ 9.9:1
    My opinion is that your motor is a bit of a mismatch in componentry, but with the shopping cart of "go-fast bolt-ons" that seem to be applied to your engine, you will see a power increase. I feel the heads you selected for your (assummed) .030 overbore 460 are not the best choice for this particular application but will certainly generate more power than the oem D3VE's. Generally, aluminum Ford Racing heads that you selected are a bit too much for the small engine and the rest of your powerplant combination and in this application. Other heads might make more usable power with the current build and pump, but should you be planning to go to a larger engine in the future (like 500 cubes or more), then the SCJ heads can really shine.
    Given the circumstances, most of the shelf grinds I would select have duration/lift profiles that cannot promote optimum port velocity and will not offer optimized engine efficiency. I'd probably try a CompCams 34-251-4 (which should be a 286AH-10, not a 268AH-10 which must be a catalog typo) or a Lunati 61604.
    LO

jeff85m
    well to tell you the truth i have considered a stroker kit by "scat" but am a little leary of the constant high rpm and what it will do to the reliablity. any thoughts? i don't want to spend ten grand on a 30 year old boat, even though it is totally cosmetically restored in and out except for the 10 year old rebuild on the engine. i got the heads today but did'nt see any s#. where would that be? i am pleased at there 32 lbs. weight. again i really appreciate your advise, and will get the comp cam, as i have always run them before and gotten good results. this is a river/lake cruiser that pulls lots of tubes and boards. it is impressive to pop the bonnett for the wow "thats a tough mill"!! thanks again.

AzMandella
    well to tell you the truth i have considered a stroker kit by "scat" but am a little leary of the constant high rpm and what it will do to the reliablity. any thoughts? i don't want to spend ten grand on a 30 year old boat, even though it is totally cosmetically restored in and out except for the 10 year old rebuild on the engine. i got the heads today but did'nt see any s#. where would that be? i am pleased at there 32 lbs. weight. again i really appreciate your advise, and will get the comp cam, as i have always run them before and gotten good results. this is a river/lake cruiser that pulls lots of tubes and boards. it is impressive to pop the bonnett for the wow "thats a tough mill"!! thanks again.
    I don't think I'd worry about the RPM's.I run a factory 2 bolt block stroked to 514 with 12.5 - 1 compresion in my v-drive and spin iy 7000 all day long.The factory mains are very beefy and with main studs are very reliable.This motor is on it's 3rd season and I have not had even the smallest problem.

zgoo
    Jeff,
    I just bought a 1979 CV23 with about 20 hours of use since new!! To say it's all stock is an understatement. (Well I just changed out the 28 year old spark plugs )I would like to know more of the "A" impeller change, just wondering how it would help my CV23. My runs 4900 rpm at 57mph, stock gauges.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast