Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know..

DUNDUN
    Can a 17% overdrive Casale Toploader handle 500 hp with 472 lbs. of torque with a 12 1/2 x 15 3 blade prop?
    Recently we screwed it out of the water and when it came down we broke a 1 3/8th input shaft with 14% overdrive.. I'm not sure if it was fatigued.. We have another completely rebuilt toploader with the same overdrive with one season on it... I'm just wondering about it though because the one that snapped was a 1 and 3/8th inch, the shaft size on the other one is 1 inch..
    Is it worth putting the other V-Drive in or are we better off just biting the bullet and stepping up to a brand new splitcase?
    Thanks
    Brandon

SPECTRABRENT
    I have a Casale Top Loader in my Spectra 20, I run a 468 Gentry Twin Turbo.
    I would like to go to a Split Case, but this one works just fine.
    Brent

DUNDUN
    Whats your input and output shaft size?
    Thanks

Super Sanger Old Guy
    Bite the bullet. Buy a Sanger with a split case V-drive.

DUNDUN
    Hey look, its my Grandpa.

dmontzsta
    I would find a used split case, they are always around.

DUNDUN
    The problem with a "new" splitcase would be(possibly) added holes in the stringers for new mounts, new prop shaft, new strut, etc.. I really don't know.. I guess what we are trying to do is atleast finish out the year with a quick fix such as using the other v-drive.. The concern is whether the current input shaft can handle it.. The one that broke is 1 3/8ths, The one in the other toploader is 1".

beaverfab
    Was the shaft a single keyway for the gear or was it 10 spline ? If it was a 10 spline I may have a used one. I would not try to run the 1" input. Thanks j.j.

DUNDUN
    I think it was a single key way..
    Yeah I think the 1" seems kinda weak after seeing what happened to the other one.

Konabud
    Why don't you just throw it in there and baby it through the rest of the season, I don't know about your summer but mine is almost gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast