Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Change prop for altitude?

hkunz
    We are going to Powell in a few days, and I seem to remember someone saying that they had two different props for Powell and Havasu. Is there a big difference? Is it worth the $600 or so to get another prop? Mine accelerates great at Havasu, but does not have all the top end it could. Will this trait be exagerated or diminished at higher altitudes. I have no idea what the pitch, or cup, or diameter, or anything else is, although it is a four blade.

watergun4u
    Hi just thought that I would let you know that with that big of boat, and the 4 blade prop, I am assumeing here but I would say it is proboly around a
    14 1/2x21, to 23 which is a good all around prop, you should have no problem running that prop, with no worry's!

phebus
    The characteristics your prop has with a good hole shot, but light on the top end should make it a good fit at Powell. If you had a prop that was set up for top end speed I would suggest dropping in pitch, but what you have sounds good. Not worth the cost of changing.

hkunz
    Advantage X-Flight 20 with the 600 SCi.

shippingguy
    We are going to Powell in a few days, and I seem to remember someone saying that they had two different props for Powell and Havasu. Is there a big difference? Is it worth the $600 or so to get another prop? Mine accelerates great at Havasu, but does not have all the top end it could. Will this trait be exagerated or diminished at higher altitudes. I have no idea what the pitch, or cup, or diameter, or anything else is, although it is a four blade.
    With your motor setup you most likely are running 28 pitch 4 Blade Bravo One 15.25 diameter. Possibly a 26, but I would say either one or the other not smaller or bigger. I would run what you got or see if Advantage will let you borrow a prop just in case for the trip.
    Mike

hkunz
    what prop do you have on it now ?,look at your prop it has a # on it
    I have no idea, and the boat is at Advantage. I don't pick it up until Friday AM, and I have no internet at Havasu. However, they are looking at the boat and will call me back with the prop size. They think it is a 24. If they think it will need more (or less) prop they'll give me a loaner. Pretty cool. Cheetah sold us a new prop when we asked the same type questions.

hkunz
    what prop do you have on it now ?,look at your prop it has a # on it
    I have no idea, and the boat is at Advantage. I don't pick it up until Friday AM, and I have no internet at Havasu. However, they are looking at the boat and will call me back with the prop size. They think it is a 24. If they think it will need more (or less) prop they'll give me a loaner. Pretty cool. Cheetah sold us a new prop when we asked the same type questions.

hkunz
    It is a 24 on it now, they will loan me a 22 for Powell. The Hot Boat tests were done with a 26.

redneckcharlie
    A good rule of thumb when it comes to elevation, is 4 to 5 percent loss per thousand feet of elevation gain. Your boat may pull the prop you have on it now, but will most likely have a hard time rolling over. Even with the drop to the 22, don't be surprised if you don't get all the rpms out of your boat.
    The main lake here is a mile high and the higher elevation lake is around 6800. The customers I dealt with in the past that came from low elevations were always very shocked at the difference in performance with their boats. The way a boat performs here compared to Havasu is almost night and day. Good luck on your trip.

hkunz
    4400 lbs. It comes out of the hole like a scalded cat, then spins up fast all the way to 55 (the fastest i've had the boat so far). The motor will go much farther, but I'm still learning the boat.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast