Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pondering .......PUNK?

cave
    Growing up in Venice and being a skater kinda got me roped into the whole Suisidal Tendencies deal. Got Dam cult I tell you. Oh how I miss slamin & The Troubadour. We had a guy in our group of thugs that had 70+ inches of arm. He is a Big MF too. We called him the Pit Pulveriser. He would head straight to the middle of the pit then go helicopter. Tod is right, what they call punk today is Bubble gum punk No pain no gain.
    Is the Santa Monica Civic still around?

beach gomer
    TSOL great OC band.

iRepo
    Check this out. Punk is still alive and well http://www.kungfurecords.com/html/mp3.htm
    Well, I listened to the intro of about four songs and kind of think they sounded like second rate Green Day. I am asking if there are punk bands, like the ones in the video, in existence today or has the genre evolved into pop with a slight edge.

Dude! Sweet!
    MC5! Man I love that band! Talk about a launch pad for eveything that came after. Can you imagine seeing Led Zepplin in 1972 and then going to see MC5... The minute that Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith ripped into Ramblin' Rose, Zepplin (as much as I love them) were classic rock. Back then, there wasn't anything that compared to the sonic barrage that was the MC5!
    Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath... all those bands should give a big thank you to the MC5.

Markos
    I thought TSOL was punk, but there is little Jackie Grisham at about 2min 12 seconds into the video(Not Punk). He cleaned up real well and ran for governer of Calif. last election.

bordsmnj
    MC5! Man I love that band! Talk about a launch pad for eveything that came after. Can you imagine seeing Led Zepplin in 1972 and then going to see MC5... The minute that Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith ripped into Ramblin' Rose, Zepplin (as much as I love them) were classic rock. Back then, there wasn't anything that compared to the sonic barrage that was the MC5!
    Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath... all those bands should give a big thank you to the MC5.
    blue cheer started giggin' in 67. they where petty hard for their time(understatement)

socalmoney
    http://www.punksnotdeadthemovie.com/
    Recent movie I helped with about punk. Go see it.

Froggystyle
    Your forgetting DI, Agent Orange, Channel 3, Lag Wagon, TSOL, and of course the Pennywise and Bad Religion.....
    I was in a punk band in NorCal in the late 80's early 90's and got to play with a lot of really cool bands from the era. Tilt, L7, Green Day (who used to actually be pretty punk BTW...) Sausage (precursor to Primus) Swervedriver etc... Saw DI, Chomphard, Bracket, Agent Orange... never got to see TSOL, but we covered "The Triangle" and "Code Blue" from them. We also covered Bad Religion "Do what you must" but didn't do any Pennywise, though I really liked them. Almost went and saw GG Allen but pussed out. I wasn't big enough.
    Saw the Chili Peppers at our local Veterans building (capacity of about 700 people max) and at the Cotati Caberet regularly. That was back in the socks on cocks days. Saw Steel Pulse there too now that I think about it.
    After I joined the Navy, my drummer went on after Hood House broke up to play with Diesel Boy and Lagwagon. A bunch of other punks from my hood went on to be a part of the Phat Records scene from back then as well.

DUNDUN
    i just saw this and thought it hit it right on the head. what is PUNK? check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Oml4r5dZg
    I really don't know many people who would consider the "non-punk" stuff "punk"
    It is pop-punk at best.
    Unfortunately, the new Hot Topic generation out there generalizes music so much these days it's rediculous. There are so many sub-genres out there.. hardcore, metalcore, Numetal, pop-punk, etc...
    For example, Hardcore came from punk, Hardcore is still going strong, but if you ask any 14 year old trend seeking teeny bopper walking out of Hot Topic, they will tell you the hottest new Metal band is Hardcore.. No, it's not, it's Metal.

Froggystyle
    I really don't know many people who would consider the "non-punk" stuff "punk"
    It is pop-punk at best.
    Unfortunately, the new Hot Topic generation out there generalizes music so much these days it's rediculous. There are so many sub-genres out there.. hardcore, metalcore, Numetal, pop-punk, etc...
    For example, Hardcore came from punk, Hardcore is still going strong, but if you ask any 14 year old trend seeking teeny bopper walking out of Hot Topic, they will tell you the hottest new Metal band is Hardcore.. No, it's not, it's Metal.
    And nobody wants to admit that the stuff they listen to is actually Emo crap...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast