Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is normal?

JDB
    Hey Guys
    Question.....a brand new Merlin crate motor....572, 725 horse, naturally asperated motor.....what is "normal" for oil pressure? From 2,000 RPM and above it runs a constant 50 PSI....at idle, and below 1,500 RPM, it runs about 17 to 20 PSI. I am running straight 40 W oil.....and the max oil temp I am seeing is about 230 to 240 degrees. It has a 12 quart pan.....Is this normal??

IMPATIENT 1
    Hey Guys
    Question.....a brand new Merlin crate motor....572, 725 horse, naturally asperated motor.....what is "normal" for oil pressure? From 2,000 RPM and above it runs a constant 50 PSI....at idle, and below 1,500 RPM, it runs about 17 to 20 PSI. I am running straight 40 W oil.....and the max oil temp I am seeing is about 230 to 240 degrees. It has a 12 quart pan.....Is this normal??
    10 psi for every 1000 rpms is normal, but i've seen alot of "loose" marine motor with 15psi at idle.once my oil temp is high, my idle pressure drops down to 20psi on the low end of my surge, and stays above 60psi when cruising with high oil temp. i'm also runnin a 12qt pan
    i'm gettin a oil cooler over the winter, it helps keep pressure steady and seems to contribute to a long life in a marine motor.

DMOORE
    JDB, the specs you posted look damn good. Including the temps.
    Darrell.

obnoxious001
    Hey Guys
    Do you have a mechanical gauge? I don't particularly like those pressure numbers , I would advise double checking pressure with a mechanical gauge, even just one temporarily screwed into the block. Perhaps your first step should be to contact the seller,, or World Products directly if you know your gauge to be good. The engine should live with those pressures,, but seems on the low side, even with just a stock Mellings oil pump. What's cold idle pressure?

JDB
    Cold temps run 50+ PSI until I hit over 200 degrees on the oil temp.

victorfb
    id have to agree, those numbers seem scary low to me. contact your supplier and ask them. when my oil pressure gets to those numbers i know i have waited too long before changing it. and yes ive done it, i will admit. im just thankfull royal purpal oil is sold at alot of places now. yippeeee.
    oh, and the temp numbers seem real good. IMHO.

cfm
    I'd call and ask if it's normal also. It may or may not be.
    There are many oil pumps made for racing (sustained higher rpms) that sacrifice idle/low speed oil psi for smoother and more consistent oil flow at higher rpms.
    Checking with mechanical guage is always the first thing to do.

steelcomp
    IMO that's borderline for that much power. A better guide for oil pressure is 10# for every 100hp.
    I don't know if this is the same as the GM 572, but check some other websites and you'll find more than one guy who ended up tearing his down only to find that the machining and clearances were far from acceptable. It usually starts with low oil presure. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just that you should be aware of this. It's why I won't buy a crate engine.

WishIknew
    Is it a marine motor or a sprint car motor? where you get it and how much?

uLtRADeNniS
    Heres my deal...
    555ci 800hp+ n/a
    idle 70-80psi
    cruisin 60-70 3700-3900 rpms
    hard pass 35-40psi at 6000+ rpm
    running 50w Royal Purple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast