Thread: msd or mallory

wright on
    I have been having ignition starting problems. Everyone is telling me to get rid of my mallory magneto and go MSD. Is it more reliable what is the pros and cons?

wright on
    I have been having ignition starting problems. Everyone is telling me to get rid of my mallory magneto and go MSD. Is it more reliable what is the pros and cons? also Im running AR 13 autolite peanut style spark plugs. 454 , roller cam, 42O B&M mega blower, taylor wires, are these the right plugs for my application.

wright on
    engine now fires over turn key, it idles fine. but when gets about 1500 2000 rpm, cutting out, back fire, and tach goes down to 0 with throttle. any suggestions where to start?

Blown 472
    Bad grounds?
    Check the plugs? check the wires? what wires are you running?

wright on
    new taylor solid core wires, with the mallory. Im going to replace all my spark plugs, and replace the magneto with msd and start with scratch. do you think AR 13 racing plugs is the right plug?

Blown 472
    new taylor solid core wires, with the mallory. Im going to replace all my spark plugs, and replace the magneto with msd and start with scratch. do you think AR 13 racing plugs is the right plug?
    I would ask Fiat 48, he is the plug expert.

wright on
    thanks for the info, I am now wondering if I jumped timing. well msd tommorow and re set timing. see what happens.

tittyman
    Just a suggestion..before you give up on your mag..you can send it to Don Zig Mags in Los Angeles..for $25 they will check it out and let you know if it needs anything..I had a problem like yours..I knew it was the mag, put in a used stock dist. and it works fine. I have a loss of performance. At the end of the boating season I am sending mine off to have it repaired. If you call Don Zig, they will give you free advise over the phone and are more than happy to answer any of your questions...

wright on
    thanks tittyman, Don went through it at the beggining of the year. He also told me it isnt made for pleasure boats. I even bought a new transformer. so msd stuff showed up today. so, mallory for sale with two transformers

tittyman
    They told me the price is about 25 all the way up to 300 if it needs everything..if you don't mind telling me..how much did they charge you and what did they do for the money..if you don't want to post it here you can PM me..thanks..