Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 amp or 2?

Havasu Hangin'
    This question should only be answered by someone who is M.E.C.P. Certified with two gold stars or above.
    Crap...I'm going to have to delete my posts...I don't have five years experience.
    :notam:

OutCole'd
    right, and only use 4 gauge wire with the subs in stereo.............
    At least someone understands the importance of electronical questions. Thanks.

djunkie
    If you are going to buy subs I would recommend the Apline's. The type R's handle alot of power, sound good and are relatively inexpensive. The type x's are really good speakers and aren't JL w6 priced. The twelves can be put in a box .65 to 1.25 cubic feet sealed. That's a pretty small enclosure.
    I like the JL amps but I also like the Rockford Power series amps. I've had real good luck with them. I run a Rockford bd 1500 and four Alpine twelves in sealed enclosures. I also run a power 4 channel 800 watt Rockford amp brigded to 2 Focal Utopia mids, and another 800 watt Rockford amp bridged to 4 8 ohm Focal kevlar mids. It's louder than most can handle in the boat and next to it. The Focal Utopia's are about 1k a pair but they worth every penny. What I'm getting at is my high end is very loud and clear and the four Alpine 12's seem to keep up with them. Most stereos are the other way around, too much bass and not enough anything else. 2 Alpine 12's and 1000 watt amp will a lot of bass, so will 2 JL audio 12's and a 1000 watts for that matter. You could even go with one 12 in a ported box (correctly porting a box with give you a 3db increase and 3 db is double the sound). I personally like the sound of sealed enclosures, and the speakers handle more power sealed but you could save a couple of bucks and go with 1 ported speaker and a smaller amp.
    As far as you batteries, you can never have enough if you're cranking it up. I have four yellow optimas and it's good for about an hour before I have to back off, at a low volume though, they will go all day.
    Well that system sounds very impressive but I have no where near the room for something like that. My boat isn't that big so I really don't need a lot. The highs I am running are more than enough I think. I may be looking into going with one 12 though instead of 2 like ol HH sugested cause I really don't think I need 2. But who knows. At this rate I'm changing my mind about every 20 minutes. :rollside:

Havasu Hangin'
    I may be looking into going with one 12 though instead of 2 like ol HH sugested...
    Here comes the skirt again... :notam:

djunkie
    Here comes the skirt again... :notam:

Havasu Hangin'

Next thing you know we're gonna see you towing that boat with a convertible Bug and starting a "How do I mount a vase w/flowers on the dash of my boat..." thread.

djunkie
    Next thing you know we're gonna see you towing that boat with a convertible Bug and starting a "How do I mount a vase w/flowers on the dash of my boat..." thread.
    Your freakin killing me HH. If I go with what you recomend it better work good or else I'm coming for you. And from what I hear my boat should have no problem catching yours. :jawdrop:

Havasu Hangin'
    And from what I hear my boat should have no problem catching yours.
    I'm sure you won't want to go too fast...you wouldn't want to blow out those aramotherapy candles you have on board!

ROZ
    If you are going to buy subs I would recommend the Apline's. The type R's handle alot of power, sound good and are relatively inexpensive. The type x's are really good speakers and aren't JL w6 priced. The twelves can be put in a box .65 to 1.25 cubic feet sealed. That's a pretty small enclosure.
    I like the JL amps but I also like the Rockford Power series amps. I've had real good luck with them. I run a Rockford bd 1500 and four Alpine twelves in sealed enclosures. I also run a power 4 channel 800 watt Rockford amp brigded to 2 Focal Utopia mids, and another 800 watt Rockford amp bridged to 4 8 ohm Focal kevlar mids. It's louder than most can handle in the boat and next to it. The Focal Utopia's are about 1k a pair but they worth every penny. What I'm getting at is my high end is very loud and clear and the four Alpine 12's seem to keep up with them. Most stereos are the other way around, too much bass and not enough anything else. 2 Alpine 12's and 1000 watt amp will a lot of bass, so will 2 JL audio 12's and a 1000 watts for that matter. You could even go with one 12 in a ported box (correctly porting a box with give you a 3db increase and 3 db is double the sound). I personally like the sound of sealed enclosures, and the speakers handle more power sealed but you could save a couple of bucks and go with 1 ported speaker and a smaller amp.
    As far as you batteries, you can never have enough if you're cranking it up. I have four yellow optimas and it's good for about an hour before I have to back off, at a low volume though, they will go all day.
    Nice too bad the 165k3p 3 way are well over 1k and the new Utopia be (called the kit no 7) are 4800.00 The crossover is a killer though
    http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/number_7/Frame_n7.jpg
    Toby will put these into his next boat
    I do agree that Alpine subs are a great product. I think it's an overbuilt sub for the money...

BadKachina
    Nice too bad the 165k3p 3 way are well over 1k and the new Utopia be (called the kit no 7) are 4800.00 The crossover is a killer though
    http://www.utopia-be.com/Products/number_7/Frame_n7.jpg
    Toby will put these into his next boat
    I do agree that Alpine subs are a great product. I think it's an overbuilt sub for the money...
    Focal in general is getting really hard to find, I had to replace a tweeter last year and the only place I could find it was on Ebay. I made my own 3rd order crossovers with polycaps and some trick notch filters and resistors. I also reverse the phase on the tweeters because of the placement so close to the mids. Correct effacing is a must, but don't ask me I'm not certified in anything and I don't know crap about using 4 gauge wire. I wasted my time and ran 1/0 gauge to all my amps. Now if I could only figure out how run my sub amp in stereo................

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast