Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown Gas Jet - New records to be set 2006

Busby,
    Where is there negativity, I asked for a discussion on Willis' intentions and question the reasoning behind the equipment he has upgraded to. Just because someone wants to talk about lofty goals and is not a member of the good ole boys doesn't mean there is any negativity attached. Discussions lead to knowledge transfer, which hopefully makes us all more informed and educated. We have seen the blower swap from a small roots to a PSI screw. One can only make an educated guess by looking at the original small blower setup (top pulley just a bit smaller than the bottom) and come to the conclusion it was not making a lot of boost. Now presumably without any bottom end modifications strapping on a blower that can make in excess of 40 lbs boost does not sound right. I do recall him having issues with burnt pistons in the past. Either the engine tune was really soft to begin with (which doesn't expalin the burnt pistons) or he plans not to turn up the screw charger. If the latter is the case, I don't see where he plans on making up over a full second of ET, my original question.
    It's all good ... one cannot tell the tone of another's typed words ... more than one came on here and read negativity ... that's all ...
    I believe that Willis was having a leaned out situation for a number of his engine melt downs ... not a boost problem ... During this build ... he has been speaking to a number of others who have made the change ... there is a lot of behind the scene stuff going on with his build (new flowed fuel system, etc.) He's doing it right ... just prolly dosen't want to post all about it.
    Willis has prooven that he's not afraid to melt it down to run a good pass ... I just think he was listening to the wrong people about his set up. My opinion.

Bobbo541
    You go Willis

BigBlockOldsJet
    It's all good ... one cannot tell the tone of another's typed words ... more than one came on here and read negativity ... that's all ...
    I believe that Willis was having a leaned out situation for a number of his engine melt downs ... not a boost problem ... During this build ... he has been speaking to a number of others who have made the change ... there is a lot of behind the scene stuff going on with his build (new flowed fuel system, etc.) He's doing it right ... just prolly dosen't want to post all about it.
    Willis has prooven that he's not afraid to melt it down to run a good pass ... I just think he was listening to the wrong people about his set up. My opinion.
    It seems that questioning without mal intent for whatever reason still seems to invoke a negativity knee jerk reation.
    A leaned out condition could also be classified as a boost problem, too much air (boost) and not enough fuel. Lower the boost and the lean condition suddenly disappears. Or in the case which you noted, keep the same boost and add more fuel. Either way the lean condition is put to rest. To me, if a blown gasser is on the ragged edge with 10-15 lbs of boost, what is going to happen when 40+ lbs of boost added to the equation. I understand that upgrading the fuel system solves many problems, but keeping the same static compression and cam specs with a huge increase in boost could lead to more issues.

mj680
    It seems that questioning without mal intent for whatever reason still seems to invoke a negativity knee jerk reation.
    A leaned out condition could also be classified as a boost problem, too much air (boost) and not enough fuel. Lower the boost and the lean condition suddenly disappears. Or in the case which you noted, keep the same boost and add more fuel. Either way the lean condition is put to rest. To me, if a blown gasser is on the ragged edge with 10-15 lbs of boost, what is going to happen when 40+ lbs of boost added to the equation. I understand that upgrading the fuel system solves many problems, but keeping the same static compression and cam specs with a huge increase in boost could lead to more issues.
    IT'S STILL RAINING!!! :220v:

Tunnel 23
    Is Don still racing? I hung around with him in the early 90's. I moved away and lost track of him.I'm glad he got a record,he work so hard at it.He loves those Ford's.

Is Don still racing? I hung around with him in the early 90's. I moved away and lost track of him.I'm glad he got a record,he work so hard at it.He loves those Ford's.
    Don bought a new '25 Daytona ... he and his wife Laura are having fun motoringaround lakes now-a-days ... I speak to him often, this year he was building a new 30x60 shop/barn at his home in Napa ...
    He is planning on coming back every now & then to kick some tail ... he's got that thing dialed ... 7.70's all day long ... high 7.40's on a good day!

Well ... I'm sure that Willis will chime in here sooner or later to defend ... oops, I mean discuss, his engine build with you ...
    Again ... here I go with my opinion, Willis was trying to get a proper fuel mixture, that is where his problem was ... he needed to step out of what equated right and run what had been prooven on a Jet gasser ... he was having a hard time and had too much input from too many individuals ... again my opinion here ... now, he's stepped back and is taking advice from the ones who have made these numbers work in the past ...
    Now, I'm not sure that he'll even come back and discuss with you the exacta's about his motor ... but give the guy some props for trying ... not come out and point out his past defeats ...
    I think the "knee jerk" was coming out saying that he didn't have the motor to support the PSI in the first place ... maybe he does now.

superdave013
    With the introduction of new safety rules ... the possibility of setting a record sometimes becomes impossible. Perfect example is the 145mph Jet Boat rule ... with Don's BGJ @ 147 and Harold Jr's BFJ @ 155 ... current racers cannot ever beat it ...
    but they can run more cubic inch.

BigBlockOldsJet
    IT'S STILL RAINING!!! :220v:
    You can put away your umbrella, I guess we all should have a drink of the grape kool aid and be done with it. Why is it that most take the path of least resistance and follow the crowd of complacency.
    It's the winter and most including myself are working on their boats and would like information to ease the pain that the school of hard knocks provides.

but they can run more cubic inch.
    Yeah ... he thought he needed the cubes ... and that motor would still be illegal ... that's why he's engineless ...
    Harold Bruce's 509 ... still the champ IMO ...

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast