Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown Gas Jet - New records to be set 2006

BigBlockOldsJet
    It all depends on how strong you rods/pistons are.Willis should have NO Problems.
    There are many factors other than rod/piston strength to account for; fuel system, static compression, cam overlap, etc... He may have the best parts money can buy for 10 lbs of boost, but they weren't designed for 40+ lbs of boost.

Fast Freddy
    The NJBA Blown Gas Jet record is retired at 147.03 MPH,set by Don Harris.
    It will take a 141.14 MPH to establish a new record. (with a1% backup).
    what kind of boat was he using and was he using a PSI blower? also how long ago was this done?

BigBlockOldsJet
    Dude set a goal for himself.Let it go.I better not say I'm running my 21 in BGJ in 06.I might get railed.
    There is nothing to let go of, this is a discussion forum and they usually work in this manner. Somebody posts something, a discussion follows and information is exchanged. I would just like to see more facts backing up this incredible statement. Like I said earlier, maybe we can learn something from this.

mj680
    i remember dan running a best of 7.40 at ming in november of '00 with a much heavier stealth than willis has. if i recall correctly, dan said he had that thing turned way up over 40. jim ran 7.50s at red bluff, which was below dan's ihba best of 7.62 that he ran at chow. harold had the njba record a long long time ago at 7.45.
    to think it's "not possible" for willis to run quicker than 7.62 is a little short sighted, simply because he has had his problems and had it turned down at the last race. willis has proven he ain't no quitter, he has his eyes on the prize, and yes, he has the equipment to better the 7.62. all he has to do is do it.
    Bob
    I remember Dan Nelson running 7.20"s at Ming the last year he ran the boat
    but they didn"t give him the record because of some B/S. He left pissed off and never came back.It could have been the same year the "BIZ" ran 144.18 MPH in Pro Gas Jet.A november race with real good air and water conditions.

mj680
    what kind of boat was he using and was he using a PSI blower? also how long ago was this done?
    Don has a Eliminator Daytona with a B/B
    Ford engine.It was set over 2 years ago.

superdave013
    The NJBA Blown Gas Jet record is retired at 147.03 MPH,set by Don Harris.
    It will take a 141.14 MPH to establish a new record. (with a1% backup).
    I think it sucks ass that they "retire" records after a peroid of time.
    MAJOR slap in the face to the teams that set them.

Just wanted to say that the track records in blown gas jet is “Going Down in a couple of rounds”.
    "Working out those small critters"
    I seem to remember listening to someone 3 years ago down here saying that same exact thing ... and he's still "working out the critters".
    Good luck Willis ... you have the advantage now ... your hull alone is 300 lbs lighter than Ron's ... not including your lighter equipment. It should be an interesting year for BGJ ...
    BigBlockOldsJet ... all I hear is that you keep claiming to know what Willis' engine internals are and what they are capable of ... have you been over at Willis' since the last race? From what I know Willis has the right components ... and it was built with the intention of holding up to big boost numbers ... secondly, Willis has had Tom Papp set up the bottom of that boat and pump to run the same as Frank Nagore's ... for big numbers ... Now he went to PSI directly, boought all of the right parts ... so why the negativity?
    We bolted a PSI on Ron Fuentes' 454, which at the time was set up for 15 lbs. of boost, 871 & a bird, steel rods, flat top pistons ... no "special deal" blower package ... picked up 8 tenths right off the bat with a horrible tune up ... ended up with a 1.2 second gain with that motor ... just by changing blower/hat ... so it can be done and has been done by at least 6 other racers in the past (Dan Nelson, Harold Bruce, Don Harris, Jim Sampica, Frank Nagore & Ron Fuentes ... all in that order I believe) ... so why do you have to come out and rain on Willis' parade?
    Just thought I would chime in here to be part of your "discussion" which sounds like a lot of negativity instead of support to me.
    Again good luck Willis ... again, if you need any more help ... just call.
    Brian

I think it sucks ass that they "retire" records after a peroid of time.
    MAJOR slap in the face to the teams that set them.
    I too didin't agree with that originally ... but after getting involved ... I understand why the "retire" rule is there ...
    With the introduction of new safety rules ... the possibility of setting a record sometimes becomes impossible. Perfect example is the 145mph Jet Boat rule ... with Don's BGJ @ 147 and Harold Jr's BFJ @ 155 ... current racers cannot ever beat it ...
    I think that there should be a "current record" and of course the real overall record ... which are always there in reality for those of us who saw them make the pass ... that can never be taken away.
    I know that I have made the motion during the rules meeting to rid the club of the 2 year limit of records with exception of the ones that were never able to be beat ... and they never got enough support to make it to the ballot ... maybe this year ... but yes, it does suck.

BigBlockOldsJet
    Busby,
    Where is there negativity, I asked for a discussion on Willis' intentions and question the reasoning behind the equipment he has upgraded to. Just because someone wants to talk about lofty goals and is not a member of the good ole boys doesn't mean there is any negativity attached. Discussions lead to knowledge transfer, which hopefully makes us all more informed and educated. We have seen the blower swap from a small roots to a PSI screw. One can only make an educated guess by looking at the original small blower setup (top pulley just a bit smaller than the bottom) and come to the conclusion it was not making a lot of boost. Now presumably without any bottom end modifications strapping on a blower that can make in excess of 40 lbs boost does not sound right. I do recall him having issues with burnt pistons in the past. Either the engine tune was really soft to begin with (which doesn't expalin the burnt pistons) or he plans not to turn up the screw charger. If the latter is the case, I don't see where he plans on making up over a full second of ET, my original question.

BigBlockOldsJet
    This is not a witch hunt or a negativity session, I as well as others would like to know how he plans on acheiving his goal. The answers may or may not help myself or others but it could lead to a great discussion.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast