Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any FORD techs...Excursion Overheat Question

C-2
    Actually, a code P1299, cylinder head overheat code. I researched it and found it sez a cooling system problem - thermo, temp sensor or head gaskets (no signs of bad gaskets though).
    So I was going to replace both - there was plenty of water and oil.
    Temp sensor on the computer side, not gauge?
    Just out of the blue, for an otherwise trouble-free four years of ownwership.
    Any thoughts?

BDMar
    PM Shadow...

Kilrtoy
    trade it in and get a new rig

PHOTOGLOU
    If trading it in PLEASE FIX IT FIRST... If your close to Anaheim I would have my guys look at it for you... Jay 714 552 0300

PHOTOGLOU
    PM Shadow...
    Dude your suppost to call me when you get in... Guess your there...

BDMar
    Dude your suppost to call me when you get in... Guess your there...
    Stalker!!

riverroyal
    diesel or V10?My 05 6.0 diesel overheated a bunch,innercooler was cracked

That Guy
    I'm giving you a task for the rest of the week on HB....try and say at least one thing nice....

502 JET
    Actually, a code P1299, cylinder head overheat code. I researched it and found it sez a cooling system problem - thermo, temp sensor or head gaskets (no signs of bad gaskets though).
    So I was going to replace both - there was plenty of water and oil.
    Temp sensor on the computer side, not gauge?
    Just out of the blue, for an otherwise trouble-free four years of ownership.
    Any thoughts?
    The cylinder head temp is read by the computer. That's why there was a code set.
    There is another sensor/sending unit for the temp gauge.
    Did the engine over heat or did the temp go high?
    Need to know year and engine size.

C-2
    The cylinder head temp is read by the computer. That's why there was a code set.
    There is another sensor/sending unit for the temp gauge.
    Did the engine over heat or did the temp go high?
    Need to know year and engine size.
    Thanks for your willingness to help 502
    2003 V10 Excursion 4X4, 64K - all fluids properly filled and this is the only issue i've ever had with the truck.
    Wifey sez going down the road, all of a suddeng CE light comes on, check gauges, she sees the water temp rocket to H and the truck lost most of its power. No traffic, going up a small incline, temp was about 100 degrees out - but nothing compared to Havi in 120, with a boat in tow.
    After pulling over and restarting, 5 minutes later the temp is back to normal. Nothing remaining except the CE for the P1229 code.
    I did some research and sounds like Cylinder Head Sensor (CHT) was tripped, putting the truck into limp mode. I checked the top radiator hose - it was hot, but nonetheless I changed out the thermo. Changed oil and replaced a lot of the coolant. Also noticed I had used regular 5-20W instead of a synthetic blend 5-20W - not sure if that matters.
    No water in the oil, and no history of heating up, so I'm hoping it's not a head gasket.
    That damn CHT is under the manifold - but I read a shortcut s to remove the alternator to get access. We'll see if it happens again.
    Any thoughts?
    And man, gotta luv the Internet for vehicle fixes. I also maintain my Mercedes and follow a couple of MB message/tech boards, and have saved a ton from stealership!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast