Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Some Help!!!

GUGS102
    Make sure you have a good ground. Check voltage on the battery. Check starter solonoid. If the starter spins and won't engage make sure it is tight, and the bendix is good.
    I'm with the pig. KISS. When you replaced the starter are you sure the wires are correct, tight and the ground is good at the block and the batteries?
    If you have a charger with a start feature, crank it over while this additional power goes to the system and see if it makes a difference.
    Another easy check is to grab a spark plug pull a wire gorund the electrode to the block or rocker cover and crank it. If you see no spark this will also give you something to look at.
    Gugs

obnoxious001
    The starter has been rebuilt so I know it is not that-
    Steve
    Just because the starter was rebuilt, you can't assume that it can't be bad. If you can't figure it out yourself, I may be able to have a look with you here in Glendora.

Bense468
    sounds like a solenoid or relay. Check to see if you have a relay in between the battery and starter. Make sure the battery is fully charged, if it has a glass eye, check it, or put a guage on it.
    We need to know if the motor is rolling over with the starter. If it is, then the starter is fine, and you can look into ignition.

thatguy
    it sounds as if it wants to turn over. I jus keeps cranking and not fully turning over. I so pissed and frustrated--Ive pulled my hair and checked everything--there has to be something that im over looking
    Is it actually spinning, just won't fire? Or is it not rotating over at all?
    Tommy

soulboater#1
    it is spinning. Just not turning over. The engine moves by hand and I need to try to see if a spark is jumping to something else.

WishIknew
    it is spinning. Just not turning over. The engine moves by hand and I need to try to see if a spark is jumping to something else.
    How about some free t-shirts and maybe i can start it????????

obnoxious001
    "spinning" and "turning over" are the same thing, no?
    If you need help, and can get it by here tomorrow, I should be able to pinpoint the problem quickly. PM in case I forget to check the thread.

WishIknew
    "spinning" and "turning over" are the same thing, no?
    If you need help, and can get it by here tomorrow, I should be able to pinpoint the problem quickly. PM in case I forget to check the thread.
    See Your The Man!!!!!!!

speeddreamon
    spinning and turning over...
    are you saying the starter motor is rotating but not engaging the flywheel and actually turning the engine? if it's barely rotating the engine, then your connections or cables are not making good contact. hook up your car to jump start it and get more juice. maybe that battery in your boat is about dead? (even if it's fresh, is it "charged"?) by the way, if the boat battery is about dead, even connecting the car might be a problem, as the dead battery will take all the voltage. if you suspect it and a pure jumpstart doesn't work, just yank the battery and use jumper cables to hook right up to your car battery. if you actually have a new and fully charged battery, you probably have a cable or terminal issue that isn't getting the juice to the starter.
    1) pour an ounce of fuel right down the carburetor in case it's fuel delivery issues
    2) pull one plug, hold it against the block so it's grounded (the threads, not the end electrode), do you see spark?
    3) check the throttle idle isn't all the way shut on the butterflies.
    all you need is fuel-air-spark. is it trying to run, or just completely dead? clicking noise might be something askew with the distrubitor cap, maybe it's not quite on there properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12