Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to drill through fiberglass?

Running_on_Empty
    I want to put a key switch ignition in my 76 sanger....what is the best way to make about a 9/16 hole?

vee-driven
    I'd say oh i don't know,..........maybe a 9/16 drill bit.

YeLLowBoaT
    Tape the area to be drilled both front and back... mark where you want your hole, take your time and don't force it.

Running_on_Empty
    well I've just have never done this before and didn't want to crack the fiberglass.....i figured it was smarter to ask now, than to ask how to fix a cracked dash

GofastRacer
    A drill bit will FK everything up tape or not, use a hole saw makes a clean cut!...

sanger ss396
    the best way is to do it in steps start out with a pilot hole in the area of 3/16th then use a hole saw but make sure u go very slow untill u get into the wood then u can add a little preasure. also a trick i have seen is clamp a 1 by 4 on the outside then do the drilling. good luck

Beer-30
    I have also heard it is good to run the hole-saw backwards to start the hole and then run it forward once the initial line is formed. Supposedly this works with upholstery and 'glass. I personally haven't tried it yet.

lilrick
    I want to put a key switch ignition in my 76 sanger....what is the best way to make about a 9/16 hole?
    Great question, and look at all of the Different and approprite ways to accomplish that task! I love this forum!

GofastRacer
    the best way is to do it in steps start out with a pilot hole in the area of 3/16th then use a hole saw but make sure u go very slow untill u get into the wood then u can add a little preasure. also a trick i have seen is clamp a 1 by 4 on the outside then do the drilling. good luck
    A hole saw has a pilot drill bit, just tape it and bore it done deal it's a no brainer!..

GofastRacer
    Hmmm, I don't think a few thousand's will matter too much for an ignition switch!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast