Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pi$$ed off ....Need Help

Running_on_Empty
    Ok....I dropped my engine off at an engine shop over 3 months ago....I went there the other day....and it was in the same shape I left it. I expected it to be done. The block is a gen 4 454 bored .30 over.....its already hot tanked....the crank is ready to go....the heads are done with 2.14 intake and 1.88 stainless valves. I'm thinking about taking matters into my own hands here. I was wondering if anyone knows a good step by step web site or book to coach me through this rebuild. Any help would be greatly appriciated

vdrivedenis
    I don't know if it is still in production, but there was a book years ago titled "How To HOTROD Big-block Chevys". This is a very good source of information. I have a copy that is 30+ years old that is still very good reference.
    Rule of thumb-when I have paid for motor work up front, it went to the bottom of the pile. No incentive to get it done at that point.
    Good luck:idea:

Sangster

burbanite
    Maybe infomaniacs thread might help...
    http://server2.boatfreaks.org/forums...5&pagenumber=1

BrendellaJet
    Just a tip I learned when having my engine built. 2 things are important:
    1. Have the money ready to spend before you drop it off. It always cost more than you thought it would. Get a quote in writing.
    2. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. If you are going with a busy shop, call often and find out where you are on the list. If you dont communicate with them often you will get bumped.

ol guy
    Gather up your'e pieces grab the How to Hot Rod a BBC and learn. Nothing better than building something your'e self and felling good about how it runs and also knowing YOU did it. If the rods are marked and the pistons have not been taken of the rods its hard to F@#K it up. Iv'e only built about 2000 engines from ubf ( alcohol injected or nos motors) Blown gas motors to grocery getters and still have a perfect record. Lots of guys here to help. 3months is a hand job with-out a reach around.

infotraker
    I've rebuilt/hopped up many engines , not for race. You can do it if you take your time, take pictures if needed and put all bolts and small parts in baggies with notes inside as to where you took them out. Make notes on larger parts as to oreintation , position etc. Keep things clean and covered up after cleaned. Get a engine stand from auto parts store. I am home if not rving, boating, prospecting etc. (no more Alaska trips planned yet) and could help you thru it if needed. I had a good shop do all of the machineing (valve job, block prepare etc).

Unchained
    I agree with the other DIY's here.
    Contrary to what the engine shops want you to believe, Short block assembly Is not rocket science.
    You can use the money you saved from the engine shop to buy some micrometers and other precision measuring instruments that you will have forever along with ring compressor and expander. I'm still using the ones I bought 20+ yrs ago.
    I have the same machine shop do the work I can't like boring, magnafluxing.
    I also have them do all the head work.
    They give me some advise on rings, bearings, etc.
    I buy all my own parts, it's easy with so many catalogs available.
    Given the 3 months you have been waiting you could have put one piston in a week and still been far ahead Read up and take your time at it.
    I refer to the old "How To Hotrod BBC's" book for things like ring clocking, torque sequence, etc.

LandSpeedRacer
    Do it yourself - you will have much more satisfaction knowing you built it.
    The books available like "How to Hotrod . . . . " are also a great source of info for other stuff like blowers, turbos, ignition systems, etc. My 4 turbo project started three years ago when I bought two used T3 turbos on ebay and some used tight tuck headers I was going to turn upside down and modify to "make work", then my son gave me some great advice - buy a book or two and read up before making expensive mistakes. So I bought the book by the same publisher called "Blowers and Turbochargers" and learned I was going about it all wrong and really did not know the first thing about what I was doing. That line of books, even though dated, is a great source of information, and I wish they would update the information in them. Just the turbo technology alone has improved tenfold since the book was published. Still great books though.
    The "How to Hotrod a BBC" book was the book I used to build my first 396 when I was 16 - you can't go wrong. Good luck!
    LSR

ol guy
    I went through my library and found a book that might help, If you decided to go the myself route. Its called Basic Engine Hot-Rodding done by Hot Rod Magazine and Petersen Publications. I would be more than happy to send it to you. BUT its old school and I want it back, I don't think you could find this book anywhere today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast