Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best way to drill through fiberglass?

Sanitariumflat
    If you use a torch, it will not chip the gel coat. You'll need a new boat, but the gel coat won't be chipped!

Sangster
    Be sure you have all the Tools needed before you start this procedure...Also, have plenty of manpower/ Beer at the ready...And "ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION".... Please post before & after pics..I dig this kind of stuff...

sangervdrive
    That sanger has to already have plenty of holes drilled in it.
    Don't drill anymore in the dash is my $0.000001.
    If you must have a key switch can't you just swap put the push button that is already there? If not make a little bracket and catch a bolt on the rail kit, some place on the engine or maybe one of the many bolts by the seat / v drive.
    But for the sake of the next guy, please don't drill any more holes in the ol girl!

Thats exactly what I was thinking I have my starter button and switch mounted on a peice of angle on the stringer right in front of the seat. Don't hack up the hull man.

While I agree with badblown572 about pre-drilling with a 1/4 inch bit, I've never heard of using the hole saw backwards. If that's his way of doing it I think that's great, but I've never had a problem chipping the gelcoat using the hole saw the intended way. I do on the other hand run a drill bit backwards in the gel for a second before drilling a hole. That'll eliminate any chipping.
    The only thing I do differently is once I pre-drill, I go to the back side of the dash and drill into the 1/4 hole with the hole saw (no matter what I'm drilling, switch, tach, small gauge...) until I'm 1/4 of an inch into the wood, then I move back to the front of the dash and finish the hole. This way I don't get any tearout of the plywood as the hole saw goes through the dash (if the backside dash isn't completely glassover with cloth...like it shoud be) and I get a nice looking hole from the back of the dash. After all, this is where I spend a lot of time doing the wiring, I want to enjoy what I'm looking at.

VDRIVERACING
    The only thing I do differently is once I pre-drill, I go to the back side of the dash and drill into the 1/4 hole with the hole saw (no matter what I'm drilling, switch, tach, small gauge...) until I'm 1/4 of an inch into the wood, then I move back to the front of the dash and finish the hole. This way I don't get any tearout of the plywood as the hole saw goes through the dash (if the backside dash isn't completely glassover with cloth...like it shoud be) and I get a nice looking hole from the back of the dash. After all, this is where I spend a lot of time doing the wiring, I want to enjoy what I'm looking at.
    That's a nice tip! I was thinking just be reeeel ginger as you near the back, but this is clearly a pro tip.
    For me, the most difficult part is drilling the hole square to the dash surface. Stickmann's idea of clamping a bench-drilled plywood piece as a guide is another slick move.

River Rat 005
    I was told to use a hole saw from both sides. Makes for a clean cut and it's easier to get the piece out of the saw.

CoolCruzinCobra
    One more method
    For 9/16 size drill a pilot hole,than counter sink a bit larger than 9/16.
    than drill 9/16. The counter sink will help from chipping the gel.
    I also like to use a dull drill .A new sharp drill might grab and chip the gel.
    if using a new drill dull it with sand paper.And like said before let the tool do the job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123