Thread: prop help

jasonk
    I have a 16.5 Tri Hull, 85 hp Johnson. I have a 14X17(pitch) prop on it. I can get it to 30mph, loaded. I'm really not worried about going any faster, with this boat. We use it for cruising and tubing. Would going down to say a 15 pitch prop, help getting it out of the hole? Any ideas on how much mph I would lose? Thanks.

sorry dog
    How many RPM's are you running at WOT with the 17? Is it an aluminum prop?

jasonk
    I don't have a tach, I really have no idea even at a guess to what the R's are. Can a person hook up a tach from a car? I have one that I am not using. Yes the 17 is alum, and a little beat up also.

jasonk
    Iboats.com has Hustler (brand) props. For the same money I can get either a 11, 13, 15, or a 17. I really think I want as much low end grunt as I can get from this motor.

sorry dog
    Without a tach your blindly guessing (instead of educateding guessing) so there's no telling if your top end will be hurt (or helped). Auto tach will not work of out the box. Just try it and see is all I can say.

Forkin' Crazy
    I would borrow a tach or better yet install one in the boat. If you run it at full throttle unloaded it might overspeed......which could possibly lead to KABOOM!

jasonk
    I did find a tach. When I recieve it I'll get it hooked up. I don't have to worry about having the boat unloaded and running to fast. My FAT ass keeps the R's down a lot.