Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Heads Paint or Not?

ghittner
    Installing a new set of Aluminum Canfield heads and I would like to leave them raw aluminum. What have you folks experienced when not painted? This boat is salt water and fresh use. Should I paint them or not?

BrendellaJet
    What heads are they? Keep a close eye on them, mine cracked a water jacket and leaked some water into the exhaust port... Luckily no damage as I caught it pretty quick.
    I would leave them bare. Better yet have them polished.

RCB19
    No paint.

victorfb
    is this a closed cooling system boat? salt water can be murder on the heads if it gets in there. as for the exterior, leave them raw is the way i like em.

ghittner
    Open system cooling, raw water.... Salt away is my middle name now. I think I'll buy stock in it....

ghittner
    What heads are they? Keep a close eye on them, mine cracked a water jacket and leaked some water into the exhaust port... Luckily no damage as I caught it pretty quick.
    I would leave them bare. Better yet have them polished.
    Canfield 350 cc

victorfb
    have the water jackets coated. otherwise those heads wont last long at all.

bajarunner
    have the water jackets coated. otherwise those heads wont last long at all.
    X2. Salt away alone won't save them.

victorfb
    X2. Salt away alone won't save them.
    i totally agree. save the cash and get a decent set of cast iron heads and work with those. salt water is a killer, trust me. i used to live right on the cliffs of palos verdes/san pedro and even everything turned to shit real quik from the salt air. hell even my guitar strings would rust and my guns? omg they were almost destroyed unless i wiped them every week. once you get salt water running through the engine, its a bear to keep them clean and erosion free. id look into a closed cooling system if it was me.

BrendellaJet
    Canfield 350 cc
    Me too. Didn't leak on the dyno, first time out though had water spewing out the weep hole in my bassetts. Crack was in #1 exhaust port. Im surprised I didn't break anything. They were pretty good about fixing it, was a "known" problem apparently. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast