Thread: Dual cable steering?

jjy73
    I just bought a checkmate 21' and it has 2 steering cables. The ob that was on it, was off another boat and is not hooked up yet. Anywhere i can find info on setting this up? It is a johnson 175. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!

snappertapper
    go to scremandfly.com

randy77zt
    get the teleflex sea star hydraulic steering.2 years ago i bought a used mirage tunnel boat with a 2.5 merc.previous owner said cables were removed and lubed.boat would not steer at full throttle.so i checked out new bass boat.found it came with sea star steering standard.got the kit for $850.easy to install.boat steers good now.

bilgewiper
    I bought a used Laveycraft with hydralic steering. It steers as easily as a direct drive inboard......with NO feedback at any speed. One handed driving, no problem. It's well worth the money like Randy77 zt says

jjy73
    how does it do at high speed?

bilgewiper
    Mine has absolutly no torque steer at all, dosent matter if the motor is trimmed in or all the way out. My boat runs only 65 at the top end and I can do it with one hand (I don't, except to run the throttle at that speed). If you have ever driven a jetdrive....the steering feed back is the same when running hydaulic on a outboard. (of coarse the steering "response" is different with a jet but the feel is the same)

TIMEBOMB
    I have the sea star hydraulic steering kit everyones is talking about. My boat steers quite well at both lower and higher speeds. The reason for the positive feels is that the fluid is sitting on both sides of the piston and held in the last steered position that was inputed thru the wheel. Only bad thing is that in the 4 years I have had the boat I have put new end cap seals on the clylinder twice now. The thing will not steer at all with low/no fluid so either make sure that you have no leaks, or carry fluid with you at all times. Later Gary smile_sp