Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Steering??

justfloatn
    Boat: 95 Nordic 23' sprint. 60MPH now (stock), may increase HP later.
    I'm looking at adding external steering. With my budget the choicesa are a full hyd single ram or dual add-on ram system.
    I like the idea of the full hyd system. I think this system should be a quicker more positive responce, but lacking the support.
    I like the dual ram due to I would like the boat in the 70's to 80's someday.(save-it RD, no input from you ) At my boat size and speed when is dual really needed??
    I'm leaning toward single full Hyd, but I see a lot of 60 to 70mph stock boats with dual ram. Ex. Eliminators

BADBLOWN572
    Boat: 95 Nordic 23' sprint. 60MPH now (stock), may increase HP later.
    I'm looking at adding external steering. With my budget the choicesa are a full hyd single ram or dual add-on ram system.
    I like the idea of the full hyd system. I think this system should be a quicker more positive responce, but lacking the support.
    I like the dual ram due to I would like the boat in the 70's to 80's someday.(save-it RD, no input from you ) At my boat size and speed when is dual really needed??
    I'm leaning toward single full Hyd, but I see a lot of 60 to 70mph stock boats with dual ram. Ex. Eliminators
    If you go with dual ram tie in system, it will be no quicker or positive than your existing steering. The cable will still kick the twin rams. If you get the single ram, full hydraulic, you will only be supporting one side of the drive. In terms of safety, the twin ram assist is better than the single full hydraulic. If it were me, I would wait until I had the extra $ and just step into the twin ram full hydralic. Don't get me wrong, the twin ram assisted is an awesome system, but coming from someone who has drive both assisted and full hydraulic, there is no comparison! Just my $.02
    Good luck.

shippingguy
    Save your money and do it right. FULL HYDRAULIC DUAL RAM. Like previously stated there is no comparison.
    Mike

acatitude
    just buy my howard and don't worry about it. its all set up...
    70 mph with dual hydraulic steering to the helm

Run_em_Hard
    I would have to agree with waiting. I have the twin external and I will be putting full to the helm this winter. Full to the helm is one of the best things a boat could have.

justfloatn
    just buy my howard and don't worry about it. its all set up...
    70 mph with dual hydraulic steering to the helm
    Cut an open bow in it for my kids and we'll talk
    and to the rest, thanks for spending another $1,200.00 of my beer money.

justfloatn
    Thanks guys.
    Maybe I'll just wait for a new boat in a couple of years. I just thought 1k to 2k to improve the steering might be worth it, but 3,400 is too much on this thing.

haysonj
    Just my opinion but I've had full hydraulic single ram on mine for three years with no problems. I think you only need the duel if you have a lot of hp or a heavy boat. I have just ovr 500 hp in a 22 ft boat

Run_em_Hard
    Thanks guys.
    Maybe I'll just wait for a new boat in a couple of years. I just thought 1k to 2k to improve the steering might be worth it, but 3,400 is too much on this thing.
    Watch ebay and piece together your own kit.

Lavey29
    Cut an open bow in it for my kids and we'll talk
    and to the rest, thanks for spending another $1,200.00 of my beer money.
    I got a bitchen Lavey 29 Nuera that is a 100mph boat with dual external full hydraulic steering. You can drive it with one finger around the docks and it handles perfect at speed. It is also for sale and we can easily make it into open bow for you family if needed. 60mph at 3800rpm...80mph at 4800rpm all day and custom roogong throughout. Go with the full hydraulic steering with dual rams, you will be glad you did in the long run...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast