Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on a deposit to a boat builderÂ…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…

andy01
    If you have given a boat builder a deposit should it be refunded to your credit card? If the builder has done nothing to start the build. I mean no drawings, no ordering of parts, nothing.
    This builder stated they are sold out for almost a year and that they were not making any money on your build because your price was a “bro deal”? This builder is always very busy when you try and get him on the phone.
    Your life changes a little bit do to the market of houses and such, so you decide that the best thing you should do is ask for your money back from this over booked builder that is making no money on your order. They state they have to sell “your spot first” now keep in mind this is a 2.5% deposit of the build cost, $5,000.
    Should the customer wait for the builder to sell “their spot” or should he refund the customers credit card the 5 G’s? Now keep in mind when the customer called last week the builder said “ Hey buddy, no problem! I will have my secretary do it right away. You call a week later and get the “we have to sell” your spot bullshet, and this is the first you have heard of it.
    Any builders that would like to chime in on this are welcome. I would like to see what they have to say about this. I know all of you guys lurk here on the boardsÂ…Â…Â…Â…
    Oh if your wondering what I think, I think they should hands down put the 5 right back on the customers credit card with no questions asked.
    Andy

OGShocker
    If you have given a boat builder a deposit should it be refunded to your credit card? If the builder has done nothing to start the build. I mean no drawings, no ordering of parts, nothing.
    This builder stated they are sold out for almost a year and that they were not making any money on your build because your price was a “bro deal”? This builder is always very busy when you try and get him on the phone.
    Your life changes a little bit do to the market of houses and such, so you decide that the best thing you should do is ask for your money back from this over booked builder that is making no money on your order. They state they have to sell “your spot first” now keep in mind this is a 2.5% deposit of the build cost, $5,000.
    Should the customer wait for the builder to sell “their spot” or should he refund the customers credit card the 5 G’s? Now keep in mind when the customer called last week the builder said “ Hey buddy, no problem! I will have my secretary do it right away. You call a week later and get the “we have to sell” your spot bullshet, and this is the first you have heard of it.
    Any builders that would like to chime in on this are welcome. I would like to see what they have to say about this. I know all of you guys lurk here on the boardsÂ…Â…Â…Â…
    Oh if your wondering what I think, I think they should hands down put the 5 right back on the customers credit card with no questions asked.
    Andy
    Grow a set of balls... POST UP THE NAME!!!. j/k!!
    That sux, good luck!

Jbb
    Andy
    I agree ...no action...money goes back

Screaming Pete
    i do too , but if they have incurred a 2-3% charge maybe you should cover that. but if nothing been charged to you account. nothing has been lost. so dealer should say well when things get better come on back and will build you a nice one later. thank you with a smile and good will

USCFAN
    You would think he would definetly be able to get his deposit back without a problem. But I have found from other dealings in this industry, that once they have your money, you will play hell getting it back.

572Daytona
    It depends on the contract. Most won't let you out for life changes but there should be some sort of time limit for performance.

ChumpChange
    If they have incurred no cost on the build, they should refund the complete amount asap. I think a court would find it that same way.

RiverDave
    Well this is only one side of the story, but from what I just read I think they oughta refund the guy his 5G's yesterday.
    If they have a year waiting list, then why bother selling his spot? The list just gets bumped up a notch, and an open spot at the end of the list becomes available. If there's that many people lined up to buy them then someone will come along surely in the next year to fill that slot.
    RD

jbtrailerjim
    The builder has more than likely spent the 5k and doesn't have the dough to credit the guys card back. West coast builders are slow right now. What builder is a year out right now? I can think of only 3 builders that are usually pretty far out on build times.

riverbound
    In dealing with boat builders. I would have to go out on a limb that the builder has already spent the $5k on somebody else boat and needs to "sell the spot" so he/she can have the money to give back. I have heard some AMAZING stories of stunts pulled by big name builders recently. I wouldnt trust most of them to wash my truck, let alone handle any of my money.
    as a side note, if it was done on a CC the customer can just call up the CC company and dispute the charges, stating that they have received no services and nothing has been ordered/done on the boat.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast