Thread: Bagging the ITP's going to Maxxis ?

2Driver
    Need a few pointers here....
    The Terra-crosses suck for being puncture resistant IMO. First day out in Rhino # 1 and I take out a side wall. Now, Rhino # 2 same thing. Then I read a Dirt Rider tire report they they experienced the same thing with the ITP terra crosses.
    I was thinking about the new Goodyear MTR's but found a lot of good press about the Maxxis Bighorns in a 14x26". Like to hear how they do in the harsh desert and sand.
    Most important: Anyone know if they end up being wider than the ITP Terra cross as I have 1/8" clearance on my trailer as it is with the Terra Crosses right now .

Riomouse911
    I had the stock MAXXIS, no probs. Went to new rims (4 10"x12" w/4" offset all around) and ITP mudlites, because I got the full set for 500 skins. ITP Mudlites are way too soft for the Ca/Az desert, punched a sidewall hole the 4th trip. Bought MAXXIS Bighorns, and punctured a sidewall the first trip to Crestline on a rock.
    Any tire will puncture if you hit things the wrong way. Goodyears look tough, but I've seen them holed in the desert as well. Best thing is to get a set of Bighorns/Goodyears/Terra-X and a spare as well as a flat kit, because short of solid tires, you're gonna hit stuff that might puncture it anywhere you go.

VAMI
    I have big horns 26/12 they are so nice.I had them in the mud,worked really good, not in any sand yet.I see alot of the race buggies run those tires.

Outnumbered
    I don't know about ATV's but I know the Maxxis is near bullet-proof on the motorcycle stuff. I run their MaxCross Desert IT and it is one tough tire. 75% of my riding buds run these because we ride lots of rocks. They are great.

2Driver
    I don't know about ATV's but I know the Maxxis is near bullet-proof on the motorcycle stuff. I run their MaxCross Desert IT and it is one tough tire. 75% of my riding buds run these because we ride lots of rocks. They are great.
    I agree, I tossed a Maxis on my WR450 and it seems pretty good so far. I do sort of like the idea of the Goodyear MTR on the Rhino. They sure have a lot of good press in jeep world. Hope it transfers to the ATV tire?
    I just can't get a wider tire or I am screwed getting on the trailer. I heard the Maxxis measure up larger then the sidewall spec. IE 27 = 28" tire

BoatFloating
    I love my Big Horns they work awesome all around sand, dirt and mud.... The also don't wear as fast on the street in Havasu..

BOBALOO
    I love my Big Horns they work awesome all around sand, dirt and mud.... The also don't wear as fast on the street in Havasu..
    Did you get that thing going?
    I've got a fresh can of quick start for both our rides

BoatFloating
    Did you get that thing going?
    I've got a fresh can of quick start for both our rides
    Yep it was a bad fuel pump covered under warranty... So plan on BBQing back at the camp one night... WORD!!!!

BOBALOO
    Yep it was a bad fuel pump covered under warranty... So plan on BBQing back at the camp one night... WORD!!!!
    I'm gonna drink 30 LESS beers before I get back to Crazy Horse this time I dont even remember hanging in your camp, and barely Darrell's
    Word?
    BTW, I NEED MY SPINNA!

BoatFloating
    BTW, I NEED MY SPINNA!
    In the Motor Home so when I give you the pass I'll give you the spinner and whistle...