Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush sets global climate meeting

ULTRA26 # 1
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration unveiled plans on Friday for global warming talks next month that will bring together the world's biggest polluters to seek agreement on reducing greenhouse gases.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    U.S. President George W. Bush has invited the European Union, the United Nations and 11 other countries to the September 27-28 meeting in Washington to work toward setting a long-term goal by 2008 to cut emissions.
    Under fire for resisting tougher action on global warming, Bush proposed the conference in late May before a summit of the Group of Eight industrial nations in Germany, but had withheld details.
    In a letter to invitees obtained by Reuters, Bush assured them that "the United States is committed to collaborating with other major economies" to agree on a framework for reducing gas emissions blamed for global climate change.
    But a senior U.S. official said the administration stood by its opposition to mandatory economy-wide caps. Many climate experts say that without binding U.S. emissions targets, the chance for significant progress is limited.
    Bush agreed with other leaders of the G8 in June to make "substantial" but unspecified reductions in climate-warming emissions and to negotiate a new global climate pact that would extend and broaden the Kyoto Protocol beyond 2012.
    But Bush has refused to sign up to numerical targets before rising powers like China and India make similar pledges. Convincing them to join the U.N. process will be crucial to reversing a rise in global temperatures.
    China and India are both invited to the September conference, together with Japan, Canada, Brazil, South Korea, Mexico, Russia, Australia, Indonesia and South Africa. The EU delegation will include representatives from France, Germany, Italy and Britain, the U.S. official said.
    Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will host the meeting.
    This must be a waste of time as there is no sceince in support. Right Smokin knowitall?

Old Texan
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
    Must then this is a watse of time as there is no sceince in support. Right Smokin knowitall?
    Calm down John, you're so excited ya can't type...........:devil:

ULTRA26 # 1
    Calm down John, you're so excited ya can't type...........:devil:
    Must have been my dyslexia showin through. Post correcetd. Thanks for pointing it out Tex

never_fast_enuf
    This meeting is a massive waste of time and I don't mind pointing it out.

eliminatedsprinter
    Actually I do see it as a waste of time that is not supported by science.
    #1. I think nothing can come from it but a bunch of restrictions that will hurt peoples pocketbooks.
    #2. No Climatologists (not even the ones who buy into the man made global warming concept) believe any Keyoto type measures (or any of the other proposed ideas along those lines) have any chance of preventing or slowing down climate change.
    So yes, as a matter of fact, I do see this as nothing more than a costly waste of time.

Schiada76
    Hey maybe they'll make Greenland Green again!
    What do you think?

ULTRA26 # 1
    All of those who disagree or see this as a waste of time are entitled to your opinion. This another case of the world is wrong based on "it might hurt my pocket book"
    As most of you know I believe that there is sufficient science to support that man could likely be affecting the pace of global climate change. I am not alone here, just a those who call it a joke are not alone. If those who suggest that climate change is being accelerated by man are correct, then acting now is prudent. If those who suggest that it isn't possible for man to affect the climate are wrong, and we act based on this perception and do nothing, we have failed. If those who suggest that it isn't possible for man to affect the climate are right and we have moved to reduce Co2 etc, no harm no foul. I don't see this position as being unreasonable.

eliminatedsprinter
    All of those who disagree or see this as a waste of time are entitled to your opinion. This another case of the world is wrong based on "it might hurt my pocket book"
    As most of you know I believe that there is sufficient science to support that man could likely be affecting the pace of global climate change. I am not alone here, just a those who call it a joke are not alone. If those who suggest that climate change is being accelerated by man are correct, then acting now is prudent. If those who suggest that it isn't possible for man to affect the climate are wrong, and we act based on this perception and do nothing, we have failed. If those who suggest that it isn't possible for man to affect the climate are right and we have moved to reduce Co2 etc, no harm no foul. I don't see this position as being unreasonable.
    You are forgetting the part of the group that feels man may have or is accelerating the process, that believe it can't be stopped or slowed regardless of the cause. There are people (experts in climatology and economics) who feel that any money spent on global warming should instead be saved to financially prepare for the costs that it will entail. Many think that money spent attempting to slow or stop it, is just money thrown down the rat hole.

ULTRA26 # 1
    You are forgetting the part of the group that feels man may have or is accelerating the process, that believe it can't be stopped or slowed regardless of the cause. There are people (experts in climatology and economics) who feel that any money spent on global warming should instead be saved to financially prepare for the costs that it will entail. Many think that money spent attempting to slow or stop it, is just money thrown down the rat hole.
    ES,
    I didn't forget that:
    If those who suggest that climate change is being accelerated by man are correct, then acting now is prudent.
    And many believe that money spent of the issue of reducucing emmisions, Co2, oor whatever, is a good investment in this Country's future.

Steve 1
    Seems to me an increase in CO2 would have the same effect on the Biomass (C3 Plants mostly)anyway the Chinese and Indians (the major polluters) get a pass while we AS Bad Americans with catalytic converters on our even our Dam chainsaws have these greenie Fags working hard towards creating the downfall of America.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast