Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I need a delivery driver

Jordy
    His back hurts from delivering BREAD!? Damn.
    Whatever Mr. I was going to drown after swimming.
    Hey Pot, I got Kettle on the phone for ya.

HOOTER SLED-
    I heard there is a lot of "bread" to be made with bread delivery. At least on the east coast. Artie on Howard spent some time talking about it a while back.
    Alot of these guys work as Independents. The $$ depends on the route location as well. Once established, one can hire their own Merchandiser/Salesman and split a route or have someone run it for them sharing some commission. This sounds like maybe what Cig is doing. The Entenmanns, Pepperidge Farms guys do this as well. The real $$ is to be made in selling off the routes too.

HOOTER SLED-
    At $12 an hour I don't see how you could afford to Discriminate . Even the lowest paid driving gig I have ever had averaged over twice that, 20 years ago. Yes yes yes +10%..... 10% of what ? Total driver sales?
    Or total profit from drivers sales? You'll need more bacon on the table to interest a real driver.
    I'm not meaning for that to be a flame post. Although the smartass in me is rearing it's ugly head. I'm a little grumpy this morning because I haven't pooped yet.
    Hey Brown... Hook a brothah up with some Colace. I know you're holdin.
    Surely that doesn't surprise you does it ?
    T.
    Sounds to me like you are sizing up this guys offer based on hourly rate. I'd venture to say that this driver could probably make 40-50 grand/yr. on a route, potentially more.

Cheap Thrills
    Sounds to me like you are sizing up this guys offer based on hourly rate. I'd venture to say that this driver could probably make 40-50 grand/yr. on a route, potentially more.
    You are right, I am. It's all he threw out there. Must be some hella commission to double what was posted as the hourly rate. It may be a great gig for someone out there. But for someone with 15yrs. OTR experience the offer didn't seem all that enticing. I was merely suggesting he throw a little more out there such as potential earning level. I believe that If he had thrown out 50K earning potential in the offer, along with what kind of benefits, then it would have peaked interest in the caliber of driver he is seeking. That's all.
    Best of luck.
    T.

HOOTER SLED-
    You are right, I am. It's all he threw out there. Must be some hella commission to double what was posted as the hourly rate. It may be a great gig for someone out there. But for someone with 15yrs. OTR experience the offer didn't seem all that enticing. I was merely suggesting he throw a little more out there such as potential earning level. I believe that If he had thrown out 50K earning potential in the offer, along with what kind of benefits, then it would have peaked interest in the caliber of driver he is seeking. That's all.
    Best of luck.
    T.
    He's talking Driver Sales. Not like an "A" driver. These guys drive UPS style trucks and deliver bread.

Big Warlock
    Best of luck.
    T.
    Honestly, you made $22 an hour OTR 20 years ago??? I have to ask what company and are they still in business? And only top driver at top companies like UPS and FEDEX would command that kind of money in today's market. Most OTR drivers make around 21 cents per mile solo and 10 to 12 cents a mile tandem (drivers). Most guys around here in construction make from $16 to $20 per hour with a CDL. Am I out of line here on wages??

jbtrailerjim
    Most guys around here in construction make from $16 to $20 per hour with a CDL. Am I out of line here on wages??
    I don't think you're out of line. I pay my truck driver $16 an hour. $16 to $20 an hour is about the normal wage for local drivers around here unless you work for one of the big union carriers.

Cigalert
    $12 an hour plus 10% commission on any sales brought in by the driver. Based on my personal experience hitting the bricks and talking with customers a sales/driver has the erning potential of $40-50k. With the local market being a little jacked up I would say anyone hungry enough has the potential for at least $80k.
    I would like to offer more per hour but then again if I was offering more per hour I'd drop the commission. Maybe down the road I'll be offering some tractor positions for drop ship out of state but until I fill the immediate need for a driver, it is what it is. For someone who just wants to drive and do sales on the side the $12/hr is a little low. For someone who wants to sell and make decent cash the $12/hr is just money in the bank.
    These are class A drivers averaging about 70-150 miles a day with 12-25 stops in a day. I cannot comment on how much all of my drivers get hooked up with food, drinks and whatever else they get as hand outs while I on the road. I have instructed everyone to not take hand-outs....or at least don't let me find out about it.

STV_Keith
    Whatever Mr. I was going to drown after swimming.
    Hey Pot, I got Kettle on the phone for ya.
    Even with all your "padding" to help keep you afloat...I'd love to see you try it there kaptain keyboard. :sqeyes:

Cheap Thrills
    Well maybe it wasn't 20 years ago maybe a little less than.
    I was making around .38c a mi. hauling hazmat. + $20 every time I bumped a dock. + paid unloading when it was required. along with the paid layover if there was one, yearly safety bonuses, and benefits it was well over $20 an hour.
    I understand that he's looking for a driver to do route sales and delivery, and not an OTR. maybe 12 an hour +ben. is the going rate now a days I don't know. But for me to want to jump into a bread wagon and sling dough it'll take a little more than what was offered, or at least a little more creative & descriptive job listing.
    Again.
    Best of Luck.
    T.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast