Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo placement and header routing.

Blown 472
    Since the new rage is to put the turbo in the truck how much effect does the length of the tubing leading to the turbo play into this?? I am thinking of leaving my headers on the car, looping the tubes together and running the one large tube up to the turbo which will be mounted in the front of the engine, any issues with doing it this way?

MACHINEHEAD
    Some of the late model cameros and vettes have been putting them all the way back at the rear axle! They seem to work pretty good for power (westech chassis dyno) but dont know about actual drivability.They wouldnt let me drive any of the cars in that ultimate power shootout thing. Maybe call Steve at westech and see if he has any contact info for you. -Kevin

BOOGEYMAN
    blown 472 it will work just fine!!!

Blown 472
    Thanks for all the info.

Warp Factor
    As a general rule, the closer you can get the turbo to the exhaust ports, the better.
    The rear mounts work fine for a drag car with an auto, where you can power brake to build boost. Otherwise, they tend to lag, not just when you leave or stomp the throttle, but on every shift with a manual. One Corvette owner with rear mount, manual trans has said he doesn't get full boost till third gear.

Warp Factor
    Oops, posted double.

Blown 472
    As a general rule, the closer you can get the turbo to the exhaust ports, the better.
    The rear mounts work fine for a drag car with an auto, where you can power brake to build boost. Otherwise, they tend to lag, not just when you leave or stomp the throttle, but on every shift with a manual. One Corvette owner with rear mount, manual trans has said he doesn't get full boost till third gear.
    I am not doing a rear mount, just running the exhaust from the headers back up to the turbo, I am hoping it will run a wee bit cooler and I can get away with no intercooler.
    Thanks for your info.

Boostedballs
    What fuel delivery / ignition system are you going to use???
    Try to get the turbine as close to the exhaust valves as possible without having funky bends. The turbine looses drive the further you have it from the exhaust ports. You want to not only capture the exhaust while it's still expanding for more turbine power, but you also want it close enough to get a strong pulse. This will increase throttle response big time. Stainless tubing and maybe some thermal wrap help keep the exhaust hot which keeps velocity high.
    With that said- the turbo will still work if it's 50 feet away, just not as well.
    A big concern, if using carbs in a draw-through or blow-through setup or TBI, is the intake system. Wet intakes in a turbo system must be thought out because even if the A/F is even under vacuum, it may go way rich on some cylinders and way lean on others when under boost. Funky 90 deg bends ARE good in a wet turbo intake system, keeps the fuel suspended.
    Don't listen to those guys that talk about turbo lag. Turbo lag is not even an issue for a well designed system with BOV's, priority valves, etc. Plus, in an automobile, the turbo "lag" actually comes in handy during gear shifts because your turbo is still at almost max RPM when you start pulling in the next higher gear. A roots blower can't do that. That drag car in the photo will have MASSIVE turbo lag but that's OK, like stated before. When the turbo spool up, they will stay spooled with the auto trans. That's not a good setup for the street.
    I turbocharge everything I get my hands on, it gives me wood; but if all the bases aren't covered, your engine can eat itself in a split second.

N281PONY
    I am not doing a rear mount, just running the exhaust from the headers back up to the turbo, I am hoping it will run a wee bit cooler and I can get away with no intercooler.
    Thanks for your info.
    I would still suggest an intercooler, unless you've got an alky motor. What size turbo are you looking to go with? Also are you going injected or carb?

N281PONY
    On a street only car that is probably best. It would only make 1st and 2nd useless. Unless a lot of tire smoke is your thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast