Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminum heads and salt?

ghittner
    Aluminum corrodes and iron rusts, so pick your poison.
    Unless you are leaving the salt in the engine for extended periods, neither will be affected.
    Agreed...

jkh04200
    Okay, the the battery, thanks, I didn't know that. As mentioned mine has the anodes on e the outdrive. I must have a good ground system on theboat because they start to pitt about every 2 years. I've changed then twice since I've had the boat. What else can be done. I'm wnating to install a aluminum intake. Would running a ground from the intake to the block help?
    The salt doesn't do much too the cast Iron. All the big ocean going ships have hundred and hundreds of valves on them. 90% fo them are cast iron. I sale em everyday. From what I've been told is cast iron does not rust. Carbon is what rust and cast iron has very little carbon in it. It will flake/wither sp.? away but its a very slow process. Thats whay there used so much in the ship industry.
    I hve seen so much by boat its amazing. Down here you can cruise from daylight to dark and nnever see the same thing twice.

Boostedballs
    As long as you can read continuity from your engine to the sacrificial anode, you are good to go. I would still bring a little stainless brush with me to scuff up the anode every time I drop the boat in the salt water. Replace it at about 50%.
    The anode won't do anything for the water that will sit inside the block when the boat is on the trailor until the next time you run it so, flush with fresh water every time you take the boat out of the salt for at least a minute or two.
    sounds like you have some nice boating there!

ghittner
    PS: I drain my heads and block after each use.......

jkh04200
    I tink we have some cool places to go. I took one trip down the intercoastal, it is slick calm all the time. We cruiesd at 30 mph, had some adult beveages, ended up at a neat restaurant/bar. Listen to some good music, looked at some bad ass boats. Then headed back to the ramp. That was over 120 miles in one day. Planning another one heading the other way down the intercoastal but this time I have found some rooms right on the water. We'll play on the water all day and end up at the rooms. They have great fishing at night off the pier under lights. I do it all in my boat and it turns heads everywhere I go. Thats the whole reason for this thread mu buddies are missing out on so much because of the salt. I flush/salt away and in 30 mins she's washed and shining like new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12