Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Jbb
    My best buddy here at work retired today....Started here as a sheet metal tech at age 19....turned 52 last week.......85 points and yer out...
    Sure is gonna be different........not sure I like it....
    Im watching the Big Dirty in my office ..... by myself.....:jawdrop:
    Happy Retirement Randy!

Infomaniac
    My best buddy here at work retired today....Started here as a sheet metal tech at age 19....turned 52 last week.......85 points and yer out...
    Sure is gonna be different........not sure I like it....
    Im watching the Big Dirty in my office by myself.....:jawdrop:
    Happy Retirement Randy!
    Sounds like you should organize and go on strike. :idea:

Jbb
    Sounds like you should organize and go on strike. :idea:
    It worked out so well for me last time!...

rrrr
    Unfortunately, the only points you're collecting are from Thumpertalk......:sleeping:

Jbb
    Unfortunately, the only points you're collecting are from Thumpertalk......:sleeping:

:jawdrop:

ratso
    Jbb... hopefully your buddy is in good health and plans to keep busy. My mom was a pharmacist for years and also worked in the largest hospital here in Waco... she said she saw so many people come in, happy they were retiring, and end up passing away in 6 months.:jawdrop: Heck, my dad is retired, but he still comes up here and works six days a week... I can't run him off!
    He never takes time off, so last week we started rigging him up a bass boat so he can do some fishing. I remember, the last time he actually took a fishing trip, was to the coast, and I went with him. I was 12 years old!:jawdrop:

Tom Brown
    I was talking to my machinist a couple of months ago and noticed his backlog of tasks was down to nothing. Not only that, his house was looking like a show home and he picked himself up a new to him RV. All the projects he had always talked about doing were all done and he even did a bunch of cool new stuff.
    I asked him about it because I know he sold his old RV about 10 years ago on account of never using it. He said he's on a new plan. In the new plan, he works 3 day weeks.
    Given the tax scale in our country, 3 day weeks puts him in a lower tax bracket so his actual take home is only about 25% less than it was at 5 day weeks. He picks up some side money with the machine shop in his yard but for the most part, he just lives on less. He drives a truck full of tools to work so he's saving a couple of hundred each month on fuel too.
    The deal he has is that, if there is a critical need, he will work up to a normal work week on straight time but if he isn't needed, he gets the hell out. He said he's worked a half dozen extra days in the last 18 months.
    When he told me about it, it was like a revelation.
    Lately, I've been under a pretty severe workload. My company is merging with another. The overtime is nice, and there's more of it than I can handle, but when this is done, I need to do something different. Frankly, I'd rather have a less hectic lifestyle.
    When this merger starts to settle down in 6~8 months, I have decided to go to 4 day work weeks. That will be possible because of all the cancelled vacation I will be carrying over. That will last about 30 months. After that, I intend to go to a 3 day work week.
    When you think about it, do you really want to retire? Ever? I don't. I'd like to work less, though.
    It turns out, there are some benefits to getting old.

stoker22405
    Would be nice to go to work because you want to...Not because you have too....
    Dont think I would ever want to retire.....

Trailer Park Casanova
    I retired March 1st.
    It's great.

WishIknew
    Would be nice to go to work because you want to...Not because you have too....
    Dont think I would ever want to retire.....
    you wont have too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast