Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Outboards vs car motors

Kim Hanson
    Dirty,lmao..They are just fast,look at mine is that "DIRTY"......( . )( . ).........

Chummy
    Easy, everyone! Look if we all had the same setup it would be very boring don't ya think? There will always be the war between o/b vs. i/o or jets, but thats what makes it soooo.. fun. Personally I don't like these events that are for only one or the other the point here is we all like to be on the water See ya out there

Jungle Boy
    Chummy:
    Easy, everyone! Look if we all had the same setup it would be very boring don't ya think? There will always be the war between o/b vs. i/o or jets, but thats what makes it soooo.. fun. Personally I don't like these events that are for only one or the other the point here is we all like to be on the water See ya out thereExactly. The common interest is boating. The type of boat is open to one's opinion. Happy boating.

Skaterfast
    True story.After racing a 25 ft car boat with my 24 foot twin outboard this is how our conversation went."Wow (me talking) your boat runs pretty good".Then this is what he says."My boat runs good?You smoked me.How much horsepower do you have"?My outboards are 450 total.Then he says."Wow Ive got almost 800 in my car motor".He was a little confused.450 against 800,hhmmm.

shockwaveharry
    Havasu Secret
    [QB]...You just can't run a V8 car motor over 6000RPM for years without some kind of major problem...QB]You could if it was a 2.5L. It's all about reciprocating weight.
    I know outboards are fast.
    I know they are efficient.
    I know they're light, burn less fuel, go faster with less HP, blah, blah, blah...
    I wouldn't buy one for the same reason I wouldn't buy an electric Corvette no matter how fast it could go. It's just not for me.
    I understand those 2.5 drag motors make one hell of a margarita though! wink

Wicky
    Charley:
    Skaterfast:
    Lots of you are missing the point here.Outboards are almost 50% more efficient than inboards.[/b]
    and 50% harder on our environment....don't you like sushi? Did somebody say Sushi??

Bahner tunnel
    One of my friends has a 21' Daytona with a 300 hp. Evinrude that runs low 80's and gets really good gas mileage . Even more so now that his connecting rod is sticking out the side of his block. That was the best sounding outboard that I have ever heard as my other friends jet passed him right as it blew up. "CLUNK"

Skaterfast
    Bahner tunnel:
    One of my friends has a 21' Daytona with a 300 hp. Evinrude that runs low 80's and gets really good gas mileage . Even more so now that his connecting rod is sticking out the side of his block. That was the best sounding outboard that I have ever heard as my other friends jet passed him right as it blew up. "CLUNK"I'm surprised your jet friend had enough money to be on the water after his 3rd rebuild,racing the outboard that had never been rebuilt after 300 hours.Ha Ha.

Bahner tunnel
    There is some truth to your reply. It is just backwards . The out board had about 10 hours on it and the jet was on it's third season. The outboard was under propped and was turning 7000+ rpm or it would have lived forever I'm sure. I used to be an out board fan until riding in that jet . It is a true "Hot Rod" in every sense of the word. Gas guzzling , loud , and violent when you mash the throttle . Outboards obviously have the advantage on speed per h.p. being it took 600 hp to beat 300 h.p. Someday I would dig a 19' Daytona with a 2.5 , but until then I'll stick to most inefficient way to go fast on water , 700 h.p connected to a jet. 90+ mph the hard way.

DUCKY
    Here is the problem. I have owned outboards, my family owned a jet through my formitive years, and have also had v-drives, and this is the way I see it.
    Outboard: lots of good things going for it, I will admit. Great power to weight ratio, more room in the boat, and yes, very efficient....
    But, what is the most powerful outboard you have ever in existence? Maybe Land and Sea's old turbocharged OMC V-8? Maybe Rick Gilman's blown Evinrude? Either one is good for 450-500 hp and pushes their respective boats well past the triple digits. I think the Land and Sea motor ran 143 (unknown hull)one time and Rick's motor pushes his 21 Daytona 9sec 1/4's at about 105 every weekend. Or 120 or so with a big prop. These two motors are about as extreme as you can get with an outboard and I know Rick blows about 3 lower units a season. And what's with the having to mix oil crap?
    Jet: Not very efficient, but very quick, even with a small amount of power. They (The pump itself) are virtually maintenance free and can withstand abuse that no outboard or v-drive can match. (Sand, tangled ski ropes, rocks, etc...) A jet can handle an almost infinite amount of power. The fastest jet I know of would be Frank Place's "Going Places". It would run in the 6's at what, 170 mph? It did take 3000 hp to do this though. Jet's never worked well on heavy hulls, but with Harold Bruce's new twin pump setup, this too could change.
    V-Drive:
    Requires lots of maintenace, but they are very reliable. And yes, hp for hp, an outboard will kill a v-drive. But, you can put an unlimited amount of hp through a v-drive. I believe the world record right now is 4.96 seconds at over 240 mph in the 1/4 mi. No other form of propulsion can match this performance, and how many jets or outboards that you know in a lake boat application can cruise comfortably at 50 mph at 2500 rpm like a v-drive (NONE)

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast