Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBC 434 - What block to use ?

alien2
    cstraub69,
    500 hp won't get me where I need to be.
    I'm not worried about anything under 3500 rpm because a Jet flares to about 3500 just rolling over on plane.
    I need to make the HP at 5200/5800 rpms. I was thinking a cam with around 620 lift and 240 duration.
    I am not a cam expert. I was hoping someone on here was. :idea:
    I may be wrong but I thought using a Hyd. Roller instead of a Solid Roller I would just loose some duration on take off do to the lifter squish.
    One more question, why a Dart block over a World/Motown ?
    _______-

cfm
    Alien - here you go. Pull out the plastic and make a call.
    http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/en...ro-street.html
    =====================
    Only prob with that motor is iff you want to make more hp at a later date, then a cyl head change will prob be in your future.
    It's hard for me to imagine a 434 SBC that is only meant to run at 5600rpm. Hard for the brain to think that way. LOL.

Jungle Boy
    I have ran a 434 ci in my Eagle jetboat for several years and it has been a great motor.
    - Dart Little "M" block.
    - Dart Pro-Comp CNC heads
    - Edelbrock 2529 intake
    - Solid roller cam (don't know the specs anymore).
    - 10.5 compression
    - 850 Holly DP
    This motor made 575 hp at 5450 RPM, over 400 ft/lbs from 4100 rpm up to 5600 rpm.
    If you are planning to run hard on pump gas then plan on detonating pistons.
    Avgas is cheap compared to rebuilding the engine.

Unchained
    I'd say spring for the aluminum block.
    I knuckled under when I got the Arias block I have now and never regretted it.
    You're saving weight, repairable, not to mention the ultra cool factor.

MACHINEHEAD
    I was thinking 660 but Joe could definitly get 10 more than me. Ha Ha Joe's the man! A hydro roller would have been fine in this engine but I wanted the bottom end crispness that a small solid street roller gives. Notice the power figures are with a 750 carb! This thing is in a mid engine dune buggy and has the throttle snap of a 1 litre street bike! The hydro roller would have softened the torque on the bottom. You dont need that with a jet boat. Pick whatever block you get the best deal on and pull the trigger. But run the AFR210 and the 240 ish hydro roller and enjoy 600 plus HP with a dominator.

alien2
    MACHINEHEAD
    I have talked to several cam company's, they all say something different. I sometimes wonder if I'm talking to the janitor or something . . .
    Got any recommendations that would get me close ?
    I've got a BG 850 on the shelf. how much HP will I be giving up over the Dominator ?
    ________

IMPATIENT 1
    MACHINEHEAD
    I have talked to several cam company's, they all say something different. I sometimes wonder if I'm talking to the janitor or something . . .
    Got any recommendations that would get me close ?
    I've got a BG 850 on the shelf. how much HP will I be giving up over the Dominator ?
    ________
    cstraub is the cam man, get with him

BOOGEYMAN
    Why not just build a 406 and use a standard chevy block? If 600 is the target a well done 406 will get you there and be way cheaper than a 427 for the same outcome.......
    On the other hand if you are interested in that 434 from steve schmidt let me know and I can get you a much better price than is listed!
    Travis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12