Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injected Bassett Temp Question?

AT WHAT TEMP DO THE RUBBER HOSES TAHT HOOK THE TRU-TRANSOM'S TO THE EXAUST TIPS MELT? DID THAT A COUPLE A WEEKS AGO. SO I BOUGHT A LASER PYROMETER AND TODAY THEY WERE PUSHIN 400*. WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TEST THE BASSETT T-VALVE?:idea:

victorfb
    more importantly is the oil and block/water temp. for the basset T valve which is basically the water temp guage, i prefer around 160-180 cruising, it will climb after a hard run, but just idle (or cruise) around a bit and it will cool down. if you have good hoses on your exhaust it will withstand the heat of normal operation.

So Ditch The Bassett Valve With Through Transom Bassetts. I'm Running A Thermostat Kit. I Just Installed A Gate Valve On The Bypass Line To Send More To The Headers. I Guess What I'm Askin Can You Think Of Anything Else I'm May Be Doin Wrong? Mabey I Should Call Paul And Get Him To Fax Me A Diagram Or Something?

Thanks(again) Rex One. I'll Try To Keep This Short.no Engine Cover.
    The Boat Had Ovt Headers When I Bought (from The 70's), And I Got Tired Of Noise Issues. So I Found A Deal Tt's. I Do Need A Pres Gauge Workin On That. I've Installed A Oil Temp. Gauge But Havent Wired It Yet (or Wasted My Oil That Looks New Still,sender Is In Drain Plug) Yet Another Tip I Got Here. Weep Holes And Lines R All Blown Out. To Get Rid Of Reversion Issues I Guess Go Dry(and Get Tickets) Or Jacketed?

Cas
    If you have adequate water through the hoses they will not melt. This is one reason Bassett doesn't include a T valve with thru transom Bassetts. The T Valve makes them dry at idle. Hoses will not take that nor are they designed to.
    I gotta disagree with you on this one Mike. I got a t-valve with my Bassett tt's and the instructions on how to set it to open at about 1700 rpms. The t- valve is there to help prevent bluing of the chrome whereas the water dumps go into the collectors to keep the hoses cool.

You're right they do include the t-valve now, but never did in the old days (rexone living in the 90's again ).
    I've deleted my other posts above because not applicable considering the added dump fittings.

Cas
    You're right they do include the t-valve now, but never did in the old days (rexone living in the 90's again ).
    I've deleted my other posts above because not applicable considering the added dump fittings.
    not to worry, I wrote a check the other day and dated it 8/21/77
    77 was a pretty good year for me
    so H20, do you have water bungs on the collectors?

They Are Injected(new Lines ,blown Out To Make Sure There Unpluged) It Has Weep Holes(also Cleared) Not Sure If I Have Bungs Or Not? Back On The Colector Facing Inward There Are 2 Bungs(i Guess) But They Dont Look Like They'd Do Any Thing There Are Nuts And Then Out Of The Center Of Them There Is Steel Cable About 3/16" Thick Making A Loop. I Always Wondered Why They Were There.i Wish I Could Posts A Pic.

Cas
    send me the pics again, it you like. Those fittings on the collectors are for the water dumps, no idea what someone else did to them though. The water routing should be-
    pump to a tee
    each side of tee to front of engine
    1 side of thermo housing to a tee - each side of tee to each collector
    other side of thermo to a valve then to Bassett tee then to each side injector.
    The valve to the Bassett tee needs to be adjusted so the water comes on to the injectors at about 1800 rpms. The easiest way I found to do that is to back the boat into the water, disconnect one of the injector lines, fire up the engine. Bring the rpm's up to about 1800 rpms with the water flowing to the injector line, turn the valve until the water turns off. Test to make sure it's correct, reinstall line.....done.

Cas Should I Unscrew The Bolt- Cable Out Of The Bung Won' That Give Me A Nifty Exaust Leak? I Bought These Off A Guy Who Had Em On A Day Cruiser In An Enclosed Compartment.(nice Huh). If The Water Comes On Later Than 1700 Thats When You Shut The Gate Valve On The Dump Side Right. I Cant Even Blow Through The Bassett Valve Is That Normal. Never Had A Problem Till I Put The Thermostat Kit On. By The Way Water Temp. Never Got Over 130*.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast