Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really bad night tonight....

Racey
    Yeah I'd say that's a little bit out of line for him to search your whole truck, 'it doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide' is about as anti-Liberty as it gets. but there ain't much you can do when he has the badge and you pulled over, arguing, however in the right you are, will only lead to more trouble for you, as sad as that is in a country founded on freedom it's the truth. Resistance is Futile.....
    Here's a great paper written on the 'Nothing to Hide' mentality from the George Washington University Law School.

mark49
    If all the CHP really just stopped you for was a dragging chain they were really out of line.
    What kind of boat do you own, a jet??? Is the your boat black and white and named “Cops can suck this”
    I’ve been CCW in California for 25 years, doing evictions, in the IE check in with the local POP stations, pulled over on occasions, and not once have I had even a small problem with law enforcement. In addition to this I have pulled my weapon 4 times during my 25 years, the last time with a San Bernardino police officer.
    My point is most LEO’s are pro CCW, why, you have passed state and local background checks, proficient shooting skills, etc. We are no threat to LEO’s. I would like to think from a LEO’S standpoint if SHTF one of us could possibility balance the situation.
    With all this said I’m very pro police, pro military and firm believer of you/our rights. If what happened is 100% correct I would report it to his supervisor, I would not like to have my wife and or children sitting on a red ant pile made a fool of just because you’re an lawfully owner of weapons and a CCW holder…
    Not reporting this matter will just make this slap happy cop feel tougher on his next lawful victim.
    In closing some info for all you CCW holders, if anyone has a need to know your current states laws regarding your permit I would be happy to provide the states information.
    With that said, I’m not a lawyer or LEO just a Havasu boater that prides himself of legalities of firearms and civilian use of force.
    A chain dragging and an LEO empties out you car and semi-detains you.. Something’s not right with this picture???
    I thank Alan for chiming in on this subject…
    Signed
    Mark the Havasu lake lover and gun collector
    #1 Neither California or Arizona require you provide your CCW upon a traffic stop... Only you can make that judgement call depending on the Circumstances. Your CCW is not linked to your drivers license, although that may be a good thing if the local states can work with the DMVs. I doubt it.
    Some links...
    PERMIT HOLDER REQUIREMENTS
    • A qualified person must have the permit in possession when carrying a concealed weapon
    • The permit must be presented to any law enforcement officer upon request, along with a driver’s license, military ID, state ID card or passport
    • A law enforcement officer may temporarily take possession of a firearm during traffic stops or other official contacts with the public
    Where can I file a complaint against a police officer who I believe is guilty of misconduct?
    Each police department has a Professional Standards Bureau. Listed below are telephone numbers for various departments in Arizona:
    Chandler 480.782.4400
    Gilbert 480.503.6500
    Glendale 623.930.3000
    Kingman 928.753.2191
    Mesa 480.644.2211
    Oro Valley 520.229.4900
    Phoenix 602.262.7626
    Scottsdale 480.312.5000
    Tempe 480.966.6211
    Tucson 520.791.4444
    Must I Inform Police of My Weapon?
    Strictly as a matter of law, no, you are not required to disclose the fact that you are armed to anyone, even police, unless they directly ask you. However, common sense may dictate otherwise, and most gun enthusiasts would recommend you alert the officer to your weapon immediately, to prevent any dangerous misunderstandings.

Baja Big Dog
    If all the CHP really just stopped you for was a dragging chain they were really out of line.
    What kind of boat do you own, a jet??? Is the your boat black and white and named “Cops can suck this”
    I’ve been CCW in California for 25 years, doing evictions, in the IE check in with the local POP stations, pulled over on occasions, and not once have I had even a small problem with law enforcement. In addition to this I have pulled my weapon 4 times during my 25 years, the last time with a San Bernardino police officer.
    My point is most LEO’s are pro CCW, why, you have passed state and local background checks, proficient shooting skills, etc. We are no threat to LEO’s. I would like to think from a LEO’S standpoint if SHTF one of us could possibility balance the situation.
    With all this said I’m very pro police, pro military and firm believer of you/our rights. If what happened is 100% correct I would report it to his supervisor, I would not like to have my wife and or children sitting on a red ant pile made a fool of just because you’re an lawfully owner of weapons and a CCW holder…
    Not reporting this matter will just make this slap happy cop feel tougher on his next lawful victim.
    In closing some info for all you CCW holders, if anyone has a need to know your current states laws regarding your permit I would be happy to provide the states information.
    With that said, I’m not a lawyer or LEO just a Havasu boater that prides himself of legalities of firearms and civilian use of force.
    A chain dragging and an LEO empties out you car and semi-detains you.. Something’s not right with this picture???
    I thank Alan for chiming in on this subject…
    Signed
    Mark the Havasu lake lover and gun collector
    #1 Neither California or Arizona require you provide your CCW upon a traffic stop... Only you can make that judgement call depending on the Circumstances. Your CCW is not linked to your drivers license, although that may be a good thing if the local states can work with the DMVs. I doubt it.
    Some links...
    PERMIT HOLDER REQUIREMENTS
    • A qualified person must have the permit in possession when carrying a concealed weapon
    • The permit must be presented to any law enforcement officer upon request, along with a driver’s license, military ID, state ID card or passport
    • A law enforcement officer may temporarily take possession of a firearm during traffic stops or other official contacts with the public
    Where can I file a complaint against a police officer who I believe is guilty of misconduct?
    Each police department has a Professional Standards Bureau. Listed below are telephone numbers for various departments in Arizona:
    Chandler 480.782.4400
    Gilbert 480.503.6500
    Glendale 623.930.3000
    Kingman 928.753.2191
    Mesa 480.644.2211
    Oro Valley 520.229.4900
    Phoenix 602.262.7626
    Scottsdale 480.312.5000
    Tempe 480.966.6211
    Tucson 520.791.4444
    Must I Inform Police of My Weapon?
    Strictly as a matter of law, no, you are not required to disclose the fact that you are armed to anyone, even police, unless they directly ask you. However, common sense may dictate otherwise, and most gun enthusiasts would recommend you alert the officer to your weapon immediately, to prevent any dangerous misunderstandings.
    Also being a gun owner and lover, I normally have a gun on me, not on my person, but in the car, in the last 35 years I have been pulled over on numerous occasions, and a the advise of many of my LEO buddies, I inform the officer that I have a gun and I tell them exactly where its at, only had one problem with one cop that wrote me for loaded weapon, he was a dick, gun was in the trunk, didn't matter, oh well, broke the law and was guilty, went to he judge, told him my story, he cut the fine in half, and suggested I continue my policy of telling the cop you have a gun!!! But also told me not a good idea to keep it loaded...at that point it is as usefull as a rock!!

full throttle
    That was a good post Mark49! I too have had a CCW for a long time, and had a "pain in the ass" experience between Parker & Quartzsite. My little bro & I were comming back from Havasu in my wifes range rover about 6-7 years ago, not speeding or drinking, and got pulled over by a rookie DPS. When approached my window, with both hands on the wheel, I informed him I had a loaded weapon next to my seat, and that I had a CCW...... Well, big mistake. He backed up, drew his weapon, and had us get out. Well, it's 115 out, i'm tired, and pissed. I also did not want to get shot by this trigger happy, rookie. Anyhow, I was as polite as I could stand, and let him do his thing for 20 minutes or so. He ended up giving me my weapon back... firearm, clip, and rounds all seperate. After all the BS, he finally answered my question of "why did I get pulled over". His response was that he could not read the little license plate tab sticker numbers cause the license plate frame was partially covering them. Yea right! You cant read them from 10' away in plain sight. Anyhow I called and complained about the ordeal. Who knows what happened. End result.... I dont say, if they dont ask!!!
    What does it take to get a CCW in CA? I want one there too!

River Runin
    Sounds like a case of!!--and been there!--A Reserve, power trippin, need to find and make a name for thereself!.....Did I say, Power Trippin Cop!-----lol, or was it one of the OLD, GODS!

BRSTQUEST
    Before most of you post on this site do you ever give any consideration to what you are going to type. If I had to bet I would say "no." All the tough guys on here with "this cop is trying to make a name for himself", and "he must be a rookie", or my favorite "he can't search my car, I know my rights" you guys are funny.
    First, the US Supreme Court has ruled traffic stops are inherantly dangerous and by their ruling allows officers to remove occupants from the vehicle for the safety of the officer and the occupants. If you remember there was a little case out of Riverside, Ca with a person named Latasha Harlines (SP). She was the young lady who was asleep with a gun on her lap. As the officers tried to wake her she reached towards the gun. Fearing for their safety the officers shot and killed her. In the end four lives were ruined, hers and three officers.
    Second,when a person tells you they have a gun on a traffic stop, you should handle the situation differently people should get pulled out from the car, searched, and the vehicle should get searched. It may come as a suprise to some but people sometimes don't tell the truth to cops. Searching the car for the weapon is well within the scope of case law as it relates to vehicle searches. Courts have ruled vehicles are very transient and has more liberial view of vehicle searches. CWP allow you to carry specific weapons not any weapon. So if you are permitted for a .25 Berreta you better not carry a .40 Sig or you could go to jail, but this specificity allows officers to search compartments which might be able to conceal unlawful weapons.
    Third, for the people who don't like it when officers do their job to the fullest and it impacts their day dont call us when its hot, cold, your home alone, you kicked the wife and dog, you hear a noise, someone stole your rhino, the pipes on your neighbors bike is to loud or any of the other reasons you call because it takes away from my time trying to make a name for myself.

Jbb
    Before most of you post on this site do you ever give any consideration to what you are going to type. If I had to bet I would say "no." All the tough guys on here with "this cop is trying to make a name for himself", and "he must be a rookie", or my favorite "he can't search my car, I know my rights" you guys are funny.
    First, the US Supreme Court has ruled traffic stops are inherantly dangerous and by their ruling allows officers to remove occupants from the vehicle for the safety of the officer and the occupants. If you remember there was a little case out of Riverside, Ca with a person named Latasha Harlines (SP). She was the young lady who was asleep with a gun on her lap. As the officers tried to wake her she reached towards the gun. Fearing for their safety the officers shot and killed her. In the end four lives were ruined, hers and three officers.
    Second,when a person tells you they have a gun on a traffic stop, you should handle the situation differently people should get pulled out from the car, searched, and the vehicle should get searched. It may come as a suprise to some but people sometimes don't tell the truth to cops. Searching the car for the weapon is well within the scope of case law as it relates to vehicle searches. Courts have ruled vehicles are very transient and has more liberial view of vehicle searches. CWP allow you to carry specific weapons not any weapon. So if you are permitted for a .25 Berreta you better not carry a .40 Sig or you could go to jail, but this specificity allows officers to search compartments which might be able to conceal unlawful weapons.
    Third, for the people who don't like it when officers do their job to the fullest and it impacts their day dont call us when its hot, cold, your home alone, you kicked the wife and dog, you hear a noise, someone stole your rhino, the pipes on your neighbors bike is to loud or any of the other reasons you call because it takes away from my time trying to make a name for myself.
    lol....funny shit right there......I think you should give yourself a medal....

DSW
    CWP allow you to carry specific weapons not any weapon. So if you are permitted for a .25 Berreta you better not carry a .40 Sig or you could go to jail, but this specificity allows officers to search compartments which might be able to conceal unlawful weapons.
    Just to clarify this took place in Arizona. We can conceal ANY legal firearm with a CCW. Usually I carry my glock, but if I feel frisky I carry my S&W 460 snubby, if I want to conceal an AK-47 i can legally. Secondly ALOT of people here have CCW's, unlike California. A leo here has a pretty good chance of pulling over a CCW carrier here EVERY day, and most likely do. Arizona is still an OPEN carry state. If I was walking down the street with it not concealed would he have acted diffrently?

Tom Brown
    Before most of you post on this site do you ever give any consideration to what you are going to type. If I had to bet I would say "no."
    It varies.
    It may come as a suprise to some but people sometimes don't tell the truth to cops.
    Are you suggesting civilians are lying and homicidal?
    I'll tell you what, Festus. There are cops with attitudes, just as there are cops without.
    I've been pulled over once in the last 20 years. It was about 10 years ago. Our highway speed limits here are 100 kph. I generally drive 105. There is a small gully on the way to the lake that has a 90 kph limit. I don't know why. It's in the middle of nowhere but this reduced speed section exists and went through there at 105 kph, the way I always do.
    I was taking an electrician buddy to the lake to help us wire the, then new, shop. We were pulled over, the LEO approached the window with his wind pipe blazing and his partner a few steps back, gun drawn. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE FUKKING SPEED LIMIT IS HERE?" My buddy gave me a "this is not going to go well for you look" as I answered, "yes".
    He said, "Well, what is it?" I told him the speed limit was 100 kph where he was standing but that I just passed a short segment with a 90 kph and did so at 105 kph.
    He didn't pull me from the vehicle. He looked around the car really well, then ripped my license and registration out of my hand in a huff, and then went back to his car.
    My buddy and I didn't say anything. We both knew I was screwed. I hadn't had a ticket in over a decade so it wasn't a big deal.
    Ten minutes later, the LEO came back, no partner, no gun, and gave me back my registration along with a warning ticket. He was now calm and rational, asked me to slow down and sent me on my way.
    .... so here's the deal. A cop comes at me with his throat and attitude blazing and I have to suck it up. In the grand scheme, it's not a big deal.
    Yeah... I know... the cop probably pulled over a long succession of lying assholes who live in the area but pretend to not be aware of the 90 kph zone and maybe the last car caused some problems. I do have some insight into LEO's work, through the eyes of a couple of LEO friends of mine.
    If I have a huge argument with my wife, hop in the car, screech away from the house, get pulled over, and then throw some attitude in the face of the cop, you know how it's going to go. They won't stand for that shit. LEOs shouldn't have to put up with that. The thing is, neither should the public have to deal with a bunch of irate attitude.
    Hey, I know that most police are good people. You guys don't interact with a random selection of society. You tend to interact with people who are drunk or somehow out of control. I've backed LEO professionalism here in the past because we desperately need law and order.
    We don't know what went on at this stop and it would be a good guess that if we could hear from the LEO involved, his story would be quite different. Fair enough.
    DSW is a fellow forum member so, as far as I'm concerned, let him bitch. He just wanted to get it off his chest. There's no need to turn this into an us versus them argument. If you would think before posting, I'm sure you would see that.
    Doncha see?

NoWorries
    I have to agree with you he was looking for something to nail you with. The chains were nothing more then a little probable cause to get you on the side of the road. I understand officer safety and why he took you out of the car and did what he did there. The funny thing is the "eye" test is the most reliable test and most recognized test by NHTSA, so once he was done with that no reason to continue messing with you. I do not like nor agree with over achievers with a badge. Do your job, be safe, keep us safe, don't push the issue just because you can. The reason he didn't give you a PBT (portable breath test) is because the results of them are not admissible in court. The judge can ask the office if he administered one and if so then did the results so and indication of alcohol. The answer can only be yes or no. The funny thing is most officers think once you tell them where the firearm is they can just start diggin in the car, and that as they say on TV leads to fruits of the poisonous tree. Sorry to hear you had to deal with a badge heavy cop nobody likes um and they give the rest of the officers out there a bad name. Take care of your dog and have a better labor day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast