Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: God Bless Oprah Winfrey

HammerDown
    It's true, her heart's as big as her ass! God Bless her.
    RTJas
    I'd hit it...$$$$$ :rollside:

78Eliminator
    I'd hit it...$$$$$ :rollside:
    Me too. With an axe, that is.

SOCALDETAIL1
    2 Words WRITE OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moneypit
    2 Words WRITE OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    exactly...
    I wonder if she posts pictures of herself that says... "the real Oprah..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...infrey_jpg.jpg

Kilrtoy
    exactly...
    I wonder if she posts pictures of herself that says... "the real Oprah..
    She has more money that I, So she has a TV show and a magazine to do that

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Every Morman in the world donates 10% of their salary.
    You missed the part where I said that was 7% of her net worth. Not 7 % of what she made, which is different from her net worth, probably considerably less.
    And for all of you saying that she is getting a benefit from the write off, I don't think you understand how deductions work.
    If I donate $1000, it comes off of my income, not my taxes owed. So I will save (a very rough estimate) $100 on my taxes. For those of you who can add, I am still out $900. It would only help if you donated enought to bring you down a whole tax bracket. Perhaps that is what she did.
    Sorry, as a business owner, I get real irked when people say, "But it's a right off." That doesn't mean it doesn't cost you money. It doesn't mean it's nearly free. It just means you get a little bit of it back at the end of the year.
    Sorry for the ramble.

cjordan
    Maybe she is trying to keep up with the Gates's: ~$10 BILLION given to date! and $30+ Billion in their foundation.

Havasu Cig
    You missed the part where I said that was 7% of her net worth. Not 7 % of what she made, which is different from her net worth, probably considerably less.
    And for all of you saying that she is getting a benefit from the write off, I don't think you understand how deductions work.
    If I donate $1000, it comes off of my income, not my taxes owed. So I will save (a very rough estimate) $100 on my taxes. For those of you who can add, I am still out $900. It would only help if you donated enought to bring you down a whole tax bracket. Perhaps that is what she did.
    Sorry, as a business owner, I get real irked when people say, "But it's a right off." That doesn't mean it doesn't cost you money. It doesn't mean it's nearly free. It just means you get a little bit of it back at the end of the year.
    Sorry for the ramble.
    Talking to my other 1/2 who is an accountant she said your statement is not really accurate. First of all there is no cap on charitable (sp) contributions and as fas as the percentage you get back, it depends on what bracket you are in. For some it is dollar for dollar, but in oprah's case it would not be because of her high income bracket. That being said, I am sure she uses a tax strategist (sp) that advises her on donations etc...to help her when it comes to write off's. I am sure this donation is a very small part of the picture.
    I still can't back oprah though because of her very liberal and usually uninformed opinions. Take into account how money people (mostly women) she influences and I think she is just as bad if not worse than some of the activist actors. My.02

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    point taken
    I just wanted to make the point that just because it's a "write off" doesn't mean you pay that same amount less in taxes, as some seem to believe.
    I can certainly understand why some don't like her. I don't pay enough attention to have much of an opinion, but I'm not going to bad mouth anyone for giving any money to charity for any reason, even if it's a selfish one. The ends justify the means in this case.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345