Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to denver co. area.. pros/cons?

ViB
    Its a fricking COW TOWN!
    Hey, quit makin fun of our girls :sqeyes:

ViB
    Yea that's my boat. They are selling it for me. I didn't think anybody else around here had a DCB. What are you running?
    no DCB right now, had a nice 28 Extreme with an 800 Teague for a while...can't decide on a cat vs. V vs. some little POS bowrider right now...the lakes are so far away.

Hallett19
    My g/f is from Greeley and it smells like crap there. She went to CSU in Ft Collins, kind of small and hometown for me and it is a college town so it would be cool while we are young. One thing I've learned from all my trips to denver with her is that it is a great place to raise a family, far superior to so cal.
    As for the weather, what can you say? Winters are hard, but lots of sunny days, more than anywhere in the country. Her parents now live in Windsor, lots of new development, affordable new homes, lots of golf. Her sister lives in Parker which is great, close to the city, lots of young families, and older homes, lots of track homes.
    In a nutshell, affordable homes, their housing market has been down for some time now and they are still up there with Cali in numbers of foreclosures. Other than the winters, great weather the rest of the year. People are nicer than here in so cal in my opinion. Tons of outdoor activities. With the new T-Rex and public transit, traffic has been cut down tremendously in and out of downtown, my g/f's brother in law says his hour commute got cut down to about 30 min and now he can take the train about all the way to his office in downtown. I might have to move there one day if thing work out with the g/f :jawdrop:
    PS: Denver Int. Airport sucks, its far away from everywhere!!!

HEDJUG
    I spent a few months in the Boulder area on buisness & we added the area as a possible place to live (if required).
    Pros:
    -You can live in the "hills" & be off the beaten path & still be within 45min-1hour of work.
    -You can get some mountain top acreage & have all the room in the world to play. 4x4'n, 4 wheeler'n, running the WRX thru the mountain passed at mach-10, shootin, road bikin, fly fishin, skiing...
    -Boulder is a great little town with nice bars & pubs.
    -Longmont has great/cheap strip joints.
    -Nice people
    Cons:
    -Boating sucks. I live on the Chesapeake, some of thebest boating/fishing in the world. That would be hard to give up.
    -Colorado (Devner) is far from everthing else in the world.

Sleek-Jet
    My g/f is from Greeley and it smells like crap there.
    Greely doesn't smell like bullshit... it smells like money...
    Colorado is nice... Winters are long, but if you get into outdoor winter sports it's a fantastic place to live. R/E is higher in the small mountain towns than in the metro area's.
    I'm partial to the Western slope, but Denver has it's points. If I could get a job in Grand Junction, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

24ROD
    Ask Furball (Jen ) she'll give you the 411:idea:

Dan Lorenze
    If you do decide to move to CO my only suggestion would be to hang on to your house and lease/rent it out. I know of several people who said they were tired of SoCal and move away only to come back within a year or two. That way coming back into California won't kill you finacially when you find out that every city in the US has problems of their own.

Sportin' Wood
    Funny, everyone talks about the cold moving out of So Ca. But Personally I'm pretty much over 100 plus temps followed by a week of nice weather and then winter. I'm not afforded the luxury of Beach weather and that would likely change my mind, but I sure could go for 4 seasons about now. Since we returned from the better part of a month in Montana, I'm pretty much over the 100 + temps we have seen since I returned.
    I have two High School freinds that live in Parker and absolutly love it there. They where typical SO Ca, and don't ever plan on coming back.

Boozer
    I've lived in Denver off and on for almost 10 years now.
    Pros:
    The R/E market has been much harder hit with forclosures then California. I can think of at least 5 homes within 2 blocks of mine that have recently been forclosed. No matter where you go it seems like every other house is for sale out here right now so I'm willing to take a bet that the forclose boom here isn't nearly over. As a result of the R/E downturn there are many good deals to be had here. A friend of mine flips homes and has been picking up nice single family properties worth $200K after a bit of TLC for 90-110K bucks.
    Depending on where you decide to live in or around Denver you can get a house here for about 1/4th of what you'd pay for it in California. However some of the nice areas like Washington Park and Cherry Creek will cost you California money. If I could afford it I'd have a home in Washington Park but a decent 3br 2 bath home there will set you back about $600,000.
    Denver is a beautiful city. It is very culturally diverse and they host a LOT of different festivals here. This last weekend we had a Taste of Colorado, all the local restaraunts get together in the cities main park downtown and offer samples of their famed dishes, vendors set up all over and sell misc. things. Next month we are having the Great American beer festival, you pay $50 and get to drink as much beer as you want for 5 hours and they have like 400 different breweries there offering beers. There are 100's of other festivals that go on here as well.
    If you like the mountains and have ever considering skiing or snowboarding this place is a damn mecca. I hop in the car and drive for 1 hour to arrive at skiing and snowboarding destinations people travel from all over the world to visit. The conditions for skiing and snowboarding are amazing. If you think snowmobiling would be more your style we have tons of that here to. There are mountain towns about 1 1/2 hours from Denver where people park their cars once arriving and use snowmobiles as their primary method of transport, you go to dinner, the bar, anything for that matter you snowmobile there.
    Cons:
    Anyone who tells you the people here are nicer then they are in California has never lived here. The majority of the people here are the fakest most scandalous people you will ever meet in your entire life. Everyone here puts on a mask when they meet new people that mask quickly falls off, I have found this to be true for about 90% of the people I have met in this state. The girls here on average start having sex around the age of 13, and most children by age 14 have used drugs. People here can't drive worth a sh*t! IF you speed even 5 mph over the limit you WILL be pulled over.
    All in all I wouldn't want to raise a family here and won't. There are definitely some wonderful things about this state but the underbelly of it topples all the good that it has to offer. I've been here since I was 16 so I got to see the kid side of it and the adult side of it, and this is NOT a place I would want to grow up as a child. It is however a great place to be single, the slutty teens make for even sluttier adults so getting laid here is about as easy as it gets.

CAHotRodBoy
    My sister lives in Idledale (Morrison) and loves it. They keep trying to get me to move there but I don't want to drive a Subaru!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast