Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Waterski Racers

skyskier
    Anybody on these boards remember any of the following? Chuck Stearns, Butch Peterson, Rick Fowler, Mike Dixon, Mike Harker, Rick Cowles, Mike Murphy, David Lester, Don & Vic Baum, Debbie "Brown" Nordblad,Richie & Janie Welch,
    Don & Denny Scales, Skip Hawkins, Bruce Izzat Jr & Sr, Pete Peters, Gary Steele, Timmie Guckes,
    Jan & Dion Vanhoose, Nancy Symons, Joe Symons, Ron & Marge Eckhoff, Bill Kent, Ronnie & Norm Wilson, Danny Churchill, Dick & Shirley Freek, Dick & Gigi Williams, Leslie & Dickie Williams,...............anybody I left out???

Havasu1986
    I grew up in Bellflower where Chuck Stearns had a store on Lakewood Blvd.?
    Along time ago.

skyskier
    [QUOTE=Havasu1986;2771321]I grew up in Bellflower where Chuck Stearns had a store on Lakewood Blvd.?
    Along time ago.[/QUOTE
    Chuck's family had a house on Bellflower Blvd at Rosecrans. The shop was in the back of the house where Chuck HANDBUILT all the Stearns ski line, tricks, jumpers , slaloms and speedskis. If you EVER went to the house to see Chuck, the 1st thing you had to do was get past the old man, Bill, Chuck's dad. Bill was quite a character, if you were'nt there to spend some money, Chuckie was too busy workin to come out an play! Super nice people. I still have one of his concave slalom skis and a speedski, have'nt been used in years, make that decades!

skyskier
    Didn't want you think I blew you off on the other thread..........My folks have been in CDA for about 15 years, yes, ex californians. Those names didn't ring a bell with me, but once I get up there I hardly ever leave the lakehouse. The secret is out about Lake Coeur d' Alene, pronounced "Core DUH Lane" for all the new California transplants. As I'm sure you know, it didn't get much better for water conditions than what you got up there, even on a busy weekend. It's changed, a lot, since I started going up there. My Pop's got about an acre an a half, waterfront, Driftwood point, just down from the boyscout camp. Summers seem to be getting longer there every year, it was supposed to be 91 there today.

Anybody on these boards remember any of the following? Chuck Stearns, Butch Peterson, Rick Fowler, Mike Dixon, Mike Harker, Rick Cowles, Mike Murphy, David Lester, Don & Vic Baum, Debbie "Brown" Nordblad,Richie & Janie Welch,
    Don & Denny Scales, Skip Hawkins, Bruce Izzat Jr & Sr, Pete Peters, Gary Steele, Timmie Guckes,
    Jan & Dion Vanhoose, Nancy Symons, Joe Symons, Ron & Marge Eckhoff, Bill Kent, Ronnie & Norm Wilson, Danny Churchill, Dick & Shirley Freek, Dick & Gigi Williams, Leslie & Dickie Williams,...............anybody I left out???
    Ray and Maggie Barton and there daughter Sandy.
    Carl Johnsons parents live down the street

flatnutz110
    Gary and kathy Steele live in scottsdale they are currently on a safari with Bill and Vicky Meyer in south africa. Mike and Carie Dixon live in cavecreek and spend weekends in havasu.

obnoxious001
    I grew up around the ski races and boat races. The Izzats were instrumental in teaching me to water ski, along with Stan and Tom Ward and several others in the Pasadena Boat and Water Ski Club. Bruce Jr. lived in Glendora until a few years back when he moved out of state. Butch Peterson was also a close family friend, we used to ski with him as well. Debbie Norblad and her girls Lacey and Mallory are still around ski racing. Last I knew Mike Murphy still had the ski school at Parker? Been a few years since I talked to David Lester, but he had a place on the Arizona side of the strip, as did the Wilsons. I had met many of the others when I was younger, am sure they would not remember.
    I recall when there were actually "5 minute guns" that were fired at the ski races,, usually shotguns with blanks.

Well how about Jerry Cogan and Rich Billingley. They were both National Champs. If you remember them than you also know about Beisemer point at Canyon Lake

GN2RVR
    wheres your avitar pic taken at

burtandnancy2
    Skyskier, going to answer you here as it seems more appropriate than the Steamboat thingie. I pulled Chuck Stearn three times with a 32 Spectra which was considered a very big boat back in '78, '79 and '81. Everyone else was using everything from 18' mini's to 24' Schiada's (which pulled Chuck a few times too). After that, I went back to using a 21 Schiada and pulled ex-world champ Jeff Wooton and then Gary Tomlin. Every boat I used for ski racing for 15 years was turboed except for my last one, an normally aspirated 32 Hallett with a pair of 555" engines. I would have stayed in ski racing longer if they had gone back to smaller boats for the Catalina, but I didn't want to buy a 42 foot Fountain and cut 8 inches off the beak...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast