Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Waterski Racers

skyskier
    wheres your avitar pic taken at
    Lake Coeur d' Alene Idaho

My dad had the world record in top blown fuel hydro back in those days and I remember them saying they pulled chuck stearns, the boats name was
    Citation and my dad was Rene' Andre' I wonder if this was it?
    http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/foley3.html
    Bob Foley Photo Album Page 3
    I watched Rene' Andre' at "Ski Land" many times in the 60's. Above is a link that has your Father pictured.

skyskier
    My old man and Butch Peterson were best friends, they used to come up to mead and boat the whole lake in Butch's 18' Long Deck Mandella that my dad built for him, Won Catalina in it the week before Butch had his accident. Still see Danny Churchill out here on Mead every summer, he taught me how to ski when i was about 5. That guy is unreal on a ski, Him and Danny Hensler used to have competitions as to who could do the most Helicopters back to back, they'd break 100 in a row. Crazy sums of bishes, great guys!!!
    Sounds like you know Lake Mead better than most. I've got my boat in the barn over here in Parker and will NOT put it on the river due to ALL the frickin newbie crazies. The far end of Havasu, at the springs, is where we go out at now, but it's getting WAY MORE crowded there too these day's. I've been wanting to tow over to mead as I've heard parts of the lake are like being on Powell? Can you give an idea as to where I'd launch an go to? Gas availability? Me & my kids and a nephew are running 24 ft deckboats with IO's so I'm wondering about the water levels rock/sandbars & such? Is it as bad as I hear? Thanks

havasurat27
    I know our boat has done the circuit and has towed a few peeps in the past. It is now retired and hauls an ice chest around Havasu.

burtandnancy2
    I'll let Racey give you the best up to date info on Lake Mead, even though I've been going there since 1958. I've seen all time lows (we're not quite there yet) and all time high's (winter '84/84). Today the lake is down 117 feet, but that just make the beaches better in most cases. There are some rocks and shoals, but just give them some space, most (not all are marked). There are about a thousand miles of shoreline and you can explore a lot of it. At this level you cannot go up the Grand Canyon, but if the water ever comes back be sure to do that Got a call from our kids last night and they say this Labor Day was the nicest they have ever seen and that the lines at the ramps were very short. Although a few major marina's are no longer open, there are still plenty of places to launch, Racey will know the best ones...
    PS, Racey's dad used to be one of the better riggers around, don't know if he's still doing it

H20skier
    Last I heard Gary is living near you? or Is this you? I feel your pain with CRS......I can't beleive I left these people & the Barton's out of my initial post?
    We both lived in River Terrace, but Gary moved to Sedona a year or so ago. Comes back occasionally for a ski ride. Still barefoots, wakeboards, slaloms. Awesome!

2Driver
    Gary and kathy Steele live in scottsdale they are currently on a safari with Bill and Vicky Meyer in south africa. .
    They were channel rats like us back in the late 80's when we lived in Havi. I think they had a Campbell named " Just another Shiddy Day" and a nice 26' turbo'd Hallet.

Racey
    Sounds like you know Lake Mead better than most. I've got my boat in the barn over here in Parker and will NOT put it on the river due to ALL the frickin newbie crazies. The far end of Havasu, at the springs, is where we go out at now, but it's getting WAY MORE crowded there too these day's. I've been wanting to tow over to mead as I've heard parts of the lake are like being on Powell? Can you give an idea as to where I'd launch an go to? Gas availability? Me & my kids and a nephew are running 24 ft deckboats with IO's so I'm wondering about the water levels rock/sandbars & such? Is it as bad as I hear? Thanks
    There are a few little islands here and there, many of them are completely dry, 10+ feet out of the water, I've only seen 2 that could sneak up on you, and i know exactly where they are now, and they aren't too hard to spot, both of them are in places that are out of normal paths, and one is right next to another reef that is about 3-4 feet dry anyway. Mead is great, if you want to come up i recommend staying in boulder city, it has the only amenities near the lake, its a 10 min drive from hotel room to launching. and there are great places to eat.
    Up in the upper basin of the lake there are some really cool places, and some of the nicest hard, not muddy, sandy beaches around. It's really not that bad up here, yes the lake is down 110+feet, only holding 40% capacity, but there are so many great beaches and coves showing up now that it makes up for the fact the lake is so low. We boated all 3 Days this Labor day, in v-drives, no problems, the lake was pure glass, never waited behind one car to launch, launched at 10-11am, came off at 6pm or so, one great weekend on mead will sell you on the place for life, one shitty windy weekend and you'll never come back.
    PS, Racey's dad used to be one of the better riggers around, don't know if he's still doing it
    Still doing it a bit, he's been handing me the reigns for the last few years slowly, but he's finally confident to let me have at and make most of the stuff. We've done a couple schiadas in the last few years. http://www.raceyindustries.com/projects.html

skyskier
    There are a few little islands here and there, many of them are completely dry, 10+ feet out of the water, I've only seen 2 that could sneak up on you, and i know exactly where they are now, and they aren't too hard to spot, both of them are in places that are out of normal paths, and one is right next to another reef that is about 3-4 feet dry anyway. Mead is great, if you want to come up i recommend staying in boulder city, it has the only amenities near the lake, its a 10 min drive from hotel room to launching. and there are great places to eat.
    Up in the upper basin of the lake there are some really cool places, and some of the nicest hard, not muddy, sandy beaches around. It's really not that bad up here, yes the lake is down 110+feet, only holding 40% capacity, but there are so many great beaches and coves showing up now that it makes up for the fact the lake is so low. We boated all 3 Days this Labor day, in v-drives, no problems, the lake was pure glass, never waited behind one car to launch, launched at 10-11am, came off at 6pm or so, one great weekend on mead will sell you on the place for life, one shitty windy weekend and you'll never come back.
    Still doing it a bit, he's been handing me the reigns for the last few years slowly, but he's finally confident to let me have at and make most of the stuff. We've done a couple schiadas in the last few years. http://www.raceyindustries.com/projects.html
    Did you Dad ride observer for Butch? When Bruce was driving "Kini Po Po"

502schiada
    Chuck Stearns is my moms best friends husband, super nice guy.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast