Thread: BBC Starter Problems.

boats&bars
    How many bolts on this starter 77 bbc 454 hardin marine, can you get to it from the backside of the motor? without removing the logs.

watergun4u
    There is only 2 bolt's that hold the starter on, and maybe one little bolt holdin up the end of the starter,it bolts to the block,And more then likely you will have to remove the log, to be able to get to the starter! You might be able to drop the starter,after you disconnect the wire's and the bolts, and pull the starter out the front of the bildge!!!!!!!!

boats&bars
    There is only 2 bolt's that hold the starter on, and maybe one little bolt holdin up the end of the starter,it bolts to the block,And more then likely you will have to remove the log, to be able to get to the starter! You might be able to drop the starter,after you disconnect the wire's and the bolts, and pull the starter out the front of the bildge!!!!!!!!
    I finally got it to crank over and it seems ok hopefully its just my batterys

centerhill condor
    removal can be accomplished with out log removal. It is quite a chore. Take your spare mirror and a throwable. lie on the engine with your hands hanging' down and pull the mounting bolts. Getting the starter off the engine is the easy part. Pulling it the rest of the way home, however, is more difficult especially for the full size starter.
    Personally, I had to take the starter apart under the engine and go back in with a mini. Works so far. Best of luck.
    BTW, they all have to be replaced sooner or later.
    CC

boats&bars
    I can only see 1 bolt on the back of the bellhousing its a jet. how many are there? it appears to be a 5/8 head.