Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted - is it a good deal?

thehotrodguy
    I currently have 3 jetboats... 18' Galaxy sbc w/ Berkeley JE, 18' Sterling w/ 454 and Berkeley JG, wedge and place diverter, and a 21' Hawaiian w/ Berkeley JC and 460 bbf. There don't seem to be many jetboaters in my area (Chesapeake Bay, Maryland) so I am glad to have found some knowledge on the web.
    I am going this week to look at and perhaps purchase a 1984 TX-19 youngblood. Basically, I am buying the hull and pump. It is a Berkeley JG with hardened shaft, stainless impeller, droop, ride plate. The hull is flawless - less than 40 hours on the boat since new. Perfect paint, great interior, boat was used less than an hour each time before being washed and covered in a heated garage. The owner is a friend of my father's, and he has lost interest in boating. He offered it to me for $5k with no motor. With motor he wants $12k - 454, .60 over, dart heads w/ ss valves, BDS 6-71 & a pair of blueprinted Holley 650s. I have the cash to invest but not throw away.
    What is this worth? Trailer is included. I am basically buying it to steal the pump to replace the JC in my 21' Hawaiian, where it will be powered by a 460 BBF (bored .60, stroked to 520, DOVE heads). I then plan to put the JC into the TX-19 with a stock 454 BBC, Basset headers (I already have them) and sell the package, hopefully for similar money that I buy the hull for.
    Am I crazy, stupid, or maybe lucky? Advise would be appreciated - hell, I'll accept offers on the hull once I get the pump off.

Thanks all

SBC Jetboat
    Id say hell yea its worth it with or without the motor. You couldn't fix one up or build the engine for any less.

thehotrodguy
    I guess the real question is, what can I get for the hull when I'm done? Wife is VERY patient & understanding, but another boat in and none out make for unhappy wife. Unhappy wives go shopping, take away playtime money.
    Happy wife = happy life
    Thanks
    Oh I forgot I have a 21' Sleekcraft bowrider hull for sale - needs lots of love, I have a clean title. Anyone interested? I'll let it go real cheap.....

Gearhead
    Why would a man take the best boat in his stable and canibalize it? The JG is not going to do a whole lot for the Hawaiian, but the JC is going to kill the performance on the TX-19.
    Before you you pass judgement on the TX-19, you may consider putting an engine in it and giving it a spin. There is the possibility that the stock 454 in the TX-19 would give the 520 in the Hawaiian a good run
    If the boat and/or engine are as nice as you have been told, they well may be worth the money. Is the boat in "good paint" or "good gellcoat"? That will make a difference on the value.
    Have Fun!
    Gearhead

thehotrodguy
    both the paint and the gelcoat are flawless. The absolute only problem I can find with the moat is that the reverse cable is frozen - it has NEVER been used. The boat was always shut off and paddled in to get back on the trailer.
    I can buy it with the blower motor in it - the boat is turn key right now - the problem is that I have put a $3500 deposit on the BBF before this boat came available - and the wife is looking forward to the Hawaiian. Perhaps I should sell the Galaxie & the sterling instead of the tx-19 - but then I going to have to come clean about how much money has been spent. The other reservation I have with all this is I have ZERO garage space to give up - so other than a good quality tarp, the tx-19 will sit outside for the first time in it's life. And winter is coming. Better outside than in my shop, where it will certainly be damaged. Or worse yet, I could put the '68 vette outside and the boat inside.... or not.
    What could I expect to get for the bare hull, with no motor and no pump at all, assuming I sell the tx?

victorfb
    buy a JG bowl and leave the TX-19 alone. it doesnt sound like you have that much interest in the TX-19 and i would rather see you leave it be for someone who would love to get ahold of it.

thehotrodguy
    What makes the tx-19 great? The waters I am commonly in are highly traveled... lots of boaters, skiers, etc... I was lead to believe that the tx-19 is too likely to "float" on air and would not be good in the waters here. Having never been in one, what quality ride / stability can I expect?
    The sterling is the fastest jet I have, about 68. I have previously had fast outboards (my Allison would easily hit mid 90's, but with lots of chine walk). I want to go a little faster than I am going now, but have to deal with wake and average chop of about 12-18". Occasionally, I run up smaller rivers that are more like glass, but want to play where I launch.
    I figured with the JG, droop, ride plate and the 520 BBF I should be able to get the Hawaiian to mid 70's, maybe a little more. I have purchased a hyd place diverter to add to the mix, thinking that the longer, slightly heavier boat will handle the conditions best of the "fleet".
    Can someone educate me? I don't want to ruin a nice boat, waste money, or do anything more than have a great time... and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with choices and wrestling with decisions. If buying a JG bowl is my best bet, where can I find one? I've scoured ebay for the last few weeks, closest I came was a $599 JB setup....
    Thanks to all for the wisedom & advice
    Andrew

SBC Jetboat
    Thats a very desireable hull for going fast in chop. A V hull would ride much rougher. All the racers out there desire a tunnel or air entrapment design. I am not too far from you. I am 35 miles up rt 301 in Massey, MD. Thats near Galena /Millington. I was just down your way today for the hydro races. There are a few other jet boaters around. One is Henry Morris, a widely known and respected jetboater all across the country. Hes in Newark, DE. I get a lot of parts from him. Hes big into drag racing them all around the country.
    Id really love to have it but I already dumped everything I have into this hawaiian. I have to have a tunnel someday though.
    The tunnels handle rougher water better than a V or a flatbottom. The diverter will help a lot, and I believe a droop will help with the heavy hull on the hawaiian. It'll help lift the back a bit higher and level the nose a bit. I would sell one of the other boats and keep the TX-19. You'll probably sell all the other boats if you buy the TX and the blower motor. Im assuming you run out in the Narrows? That is a busy place.

rivrrts429
    I currently have 3 jetboats... 18' Galaxy sbc w/ Berkeley JE, 18' Sterling w/ 454 and Berkeley JG, wedge and place diverter, and a 21' Hawaiian w/ Berkeley JC and 460 bbf. There don't seem to be many jetboaters in my area (Chesapeake Bay, Maryland) so I am glad to have found some knowledge on the web.
    I am going this week to look at and perhaps purchase a 1984 TX-19 youngblood. Basically, I am buying the hull and pump. It is a Berkeley JG with hardened shaft, stainless impeller, droop, ride plate. The hull is flawless - less than 40 hours on the boat since new. Perfect paint, great interior, boat was used less than an hour each time before being washed and covered in a heated garage. The owner is a friend of my father's, and he has lost interest in boating. He offered it to me for $5k with no motor. With motor he wants $12k - 454, .60 over, dart heads w/ ss valves, BDS 6-71 & a pair of blueprinted Holley 650s. I have the cash to invest but not throw away.
    What is this worth? Trailer is included. I am basically buying it to steal the pump to replace the JC in my 21' Hawaiian, where it will be powered by a 460 BBF (bored .60, stroked to 520, DOVE heads). I then plan to put the JC into the TX-19 with a stock 454 BBC, Basset headers (I already have them) and sell the package, hopefully for similar money that I buy the hull for.
    Am I crazy, stupid, or maybe lucky?Advise would be appreciated - hell, I'll accept offers on the hull once I get the pump off.

Thanks all
    I hope you don't take offense but this sounds to much like spam. You have all these other jet boats that sound to be pretty stout, your not new to jet boats and you have no idea what a tx-19 is good for or worth ??
    You want to butcher it so you can put the pump in your Hawaiian?? Why don't you save the $$ and just replace the pump in your hawaiian and call it a day. Leave the youngblood to somebody who will appreciate it. Maybe I'm wrong and your not new to jets, just lucky to have 3 boats, and really don't know what a youngblood is worth...if thats the case I apologize ahead of time.
    Now go ahead an PM the sellers #
    And to answer your question...You are crazy, stupid and lucky

thehotrodguy
    Certainly close enough to get together one evening! I ride out of the narrows, often just to the south side (where the hydro races were). The Corsica River (Centreville) is the river I grew up on and is a perfect place - relatively low traffic & GREAT water conditions. Very sheltered. I am familar w/ Millington, I am a paramedic in QA County (actually working right now... great to get paid to surf the web).
    How does the tx-19 or other tunnels for that matter handle tight corners & at speed turns? If the boat impresses me, I will have to buy it... but I am a little skeptical about "blowing my wad" in boats and having no winter shelter for them...
    Thanks. I'd love to get in touch... thehotrodguy@gmail.com
    Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast