TOBTEK
[/qb]H/D.......I would have done many things by this time....1. would have unbolted motor from boat and let sink to the bottom of lake Havasu, for a man-made fish reef/wild life preserve! 2. sold the motor for scrap metal, and used the money for a down on a new motor! 3.been in the shop foreman's face that said this thing is working fine....I dont know how your doing it bro, sounds very frustrating to me. Have you taken it to a good merc shop? if not, its time...
spark advance was explained to me as (btw, this is what I was told/ And im far from a expert!)when ever you advance/retard the timing, weather its a jetski or a M5 BMW..the more advanced the spark curve is you will gain more top end, but you will loose bottom and will be difficult to start. On your old race ski's we would have to start/warm motor with stock spart advance. Then after motor was hot, pull flywheel and advance the timing...big ole pain. but they were fast! one thought though, sounds like you are very flooded, you can always give more gas if it doesnt fire without gas first...once your flooded your screwed...[/QB][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I am at the point where I am ready to drop it to the bottom of the lake. On the one hand, I hate to get rid of the motor.......it runs soooooo well once fired up. On the other, it has me stressed out all the time now when on the water because I am always afraid that at the end of the day when we are way off and far from the ramp, that it won't start and I will be sleeping on my 19' tunnel. Not comfortable.
I think what I am going to do is try to start it only giving say 1/5 throttle.....just enough to advance the timing slightly, but not enough to dump a sh*t load of gas in it an flood it. If this doesn't work, which I am guessing that it won't, I will limp it through the rest of the summer and then give the good ol' Seebold's a call in St. Louis and see if they can't work a little magic on it for me since I am only 5 hours away.
If they work some magic on it for me and it still gives me the shits next summer, there will be a clean 2.4L Bridgeport for sale and I will be going with a new 2.5L fuel injection motor. My question at that point will be do I go for the 2.5L 280 motor or do I go for the 2.5L 225 Pro Max motor. Anyone out there with a 280 that can tell me first hand how reliable these motors are in terms of starting EVERY TIME?
Thanks for the input Tobtek!