Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: living beyond your means

driverno8
    Is there such a thing as living beyond your means temporarily?
    House, river house, cars, trucks, boat, all the trimmings...
    When your customers are not paying and stringing you out (about $240k right now) all over 30 up to 75 days.
    But when they do pay (which they will, dealt with them for years) you can resume normal life.
    Just a question...
    GOD!!! This sounds soooo familiar. Guess that happens when you work for your self. $500 one month, $20,000 the next. Get's old quick.

C-2
    $500 on month, $20,000 the next. Get's old quick.
    Ain't that the fawkin truth...guess you can imagine what kind of month I'm having.
    My editing department [wife] advised against a friendly collection letter to a 20 year client who has decided that 90-120 is prompt payment.

ChumpChange
    Is there such a thing as living beyond your means temporarily?
    House, river house, cars, trucks, boat, all the trimmings...
    When your customers are not paying and stringing you out (about $240k right now) all over 30 up to 75 days.
    But when they do pay (which they will, dealt with them for years) you can resume normal life.
    Just a question...
    That's what business lines of credits are for.

driverno8
    Ain't that the fawkin truth...guess you can imagine what kind of month I'm having.
    My editing department [wife] advised against a friendly collection letter to a 20 year client who has decided that 90-120 is prompt payment.
    I'm with ya. Had one of those summers. One month I can live with (barely), but 3-4 months straight hurts in the worst way. I still wouldn't give up the freedom of working for your self though. I love it.
    I'm in the process right now of re-vamping everything billing/payment/invoicing, etc wise when it comes to business. My dad's going to start handling everything. Floating me the loan so I can be put on a salary and get a normal paycheck 2 times a month. First thing out of his mouth when looking at some of my customers payment history was "Who's this customer and why does he pay 60+ days out. Ditch him." I told him I can't. He's worth $30k a year and just turned me onto another $27k+ job I have coming Feb. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet. I'm just going to start adding a 10-15% price break if paid in 15 days. Of course only for the customers that decide to pay me when it's convenient for them. The prompt paying customers don't need to know about it.

lawbreaker2
    It's funny a few of us had this conversation this weekend. Someone said something about buying a boat and what the payments would be...to me a big mistake. I guess after listening to my dad for the last 25 years..."never buy anything unless you can write a check for it" "save for a rainy day" and more recently "let someone else take the bath on it when they buy it new" With the obvious exception of a house I have stuck with that. The truck, boats, bikes and desert toys are all paid off. What is good about now is people are fire saling things and the once that saved and were careful can pick up smoking deals.
    I guess sometimes the ball goes flat on the baller lifestyle
    So true, so true, I'm just waiting, Then I will pick up my havi house in the foothill, and that big 0 go fast boat, and pay cash for it. I never buy anything new, I just picked up a 01 pt cruzer for the wife to play with 32,000 miles on it, cash baby, and it wasn't much.

dragboat
    But then how about the people that save there money and have the great nest egg, have there house paid for and die right after they retire.
    I wonder how many people laying on there death bed wish they had worked more and saved more money.
    Spending more then you make is stupid but if you pay your bills, why not.
    and if times get tight then sell the toys Until someone comes up with a guarentee on how long your going to be around i say enjoy life while you can.
    But then that is just my opinion and i could be wrong
    It does not have to be one or the other. You can get educated as easily as listening to some books on tape, just get the concepts. Anyone can achieve wonders with some direction. Lord knows, I am NOT a rocket scientist, it worked anyway.
    But then that is just my opinion and i could be wrong

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789