Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manual Place Diverter vs. Hydraulic?

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
    I have a 1976 21' Hawaiian mini daycruiser with a berkeley jet and it has a manual diverter. My question is....if I switched to a hydraulic system would I gain more up and down adjustment? Right now with the manual I don't seem to get the maximum adjustments up and down. It only travels about half of what it could.
    Thanks,
    OHC

El Prosecutor
    I have a 1976 21' Hawaiian mini daycruiser with a berkeley jet and it has a manual diverter. My question is....if I switched to a hydraulic system would I gain more up and down adjustment? Right now with the manual I don't seem to get the maximum adjustments up and down. It only travels about half of what it could.
    Thanks,
    OHC
    Stick with manual. The only downside is the bulk of the control. The travel is the same when adjusted properly, manual moves up and down quicker, you have positive stops at different angles, and simple=reliable. If you search on this topic you will find that a lot of guys have "upgraded" to hydraulic, then switched back to manual.

MADDOG355
    I think so. It seemed like I did gain some travel when I went to the hydro unit.

bp
    i've had a hydraulic diverter control ever since 1989, when i broke my last diverter handle. wouldn't have anything else. i have the steering wheel button on the southwind, and dash toggle on the cruiser. cruiser is too big to have a handle all the way down on the floor. ran a hydraulic control on my old 17' before i sold it 11 years ago.

wet77
    Thanks,
    OHC
    Try adjusting your cable, at the diverter and the handle
    You should still get full range of trim no matter what type you run
    I am using a manual and it works great, I think you can move the handle faster than waiting for a trim motor and when you lock it in a spot you know it will give you that same trim spot every time:devil:

Rondane
    I am using a manual and it works great, I think you can move the handle faster than waiting for a trim motor and when you lock it in a spot you know it will give you that same trim spot every time:devil:
    I dont get these guys with the manual diverter?? Kinda like droops pushing the ass of your boat down creating drag.
    Why dont you try moving that shifter when you doin 70ish and see how fast you can do it while you fighting all the pressure coming out the nozzle. Oh yea, try and not look down while your doing it. Just a thought.
    Push button and still watch the crowd to see the initial reaction as your going by. Three seconds with no effort.
    rondane

sleekvino
    manual,its has less things to go wrong with it plus its like shifting gears in a car,its more fun i think and its not hard to put it in the right spot when your moving.

I prefer the manual because once you learn which notch is best for speed, you can tell at a glance if your right or not. with the hydraulic, you never really know exactly where it is because there's no positive lock or detent.

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
    O.K. thanks for the responses so far guys.
    It sounds like there are split opinions towards both man. and hyd.
    Here is a little more info regarding my original question.
    At the diverter nozzle end of my cable the helix fitting is maxed out on the threads, but....when I set the man. handle all the way down my bow still rides a little bit too high and it (pourposes) then if I try to trim it all the way up and shoot a rooster = The bow rises way too high and if it's coppy at all, I will cavitate the impeller. Oh yeah, and I don't have a very tall rooster at that when trimmed all the way up.
    I have more room to adjust the nozzle down, but I haven't tried to adjust the cable at the handle end, in order to maximize the adjustment down on the nozzle. I'll give that a try and get back to you all.
    In the mean time.... if you think of anything else that may help with my adjusing the manual cable for max. trim down at the bow, please let me know.
    I do not have cav. plates, or a droop snoot or a ride plate either. Just a good old berk. w/ a place diverter nozzle. Pump was just rebuilt with an A-2 impeller, and yes before the rebuild it porpoused.
    Thanks,
    OHC

wet77
    I dont get these guys with the manual diverter?? Kinda like droops pushing the ass of your boat down creating drag.
    Why dont you try moving that shifter when you doin 70ish and see how fast you can do it while you fighting all the pressure coming out the nozzle. Oh yea, try and not look down while your doing it. Just a thought.
    Push button and still watch the crowd to see the initial reaction as your going by. Three seconds with no effort.
    rondane
    Rondane kiss my A$$:sqeyes:
    You can come for a ride in my boat and I will show you how easy it is
    And what are you doing lookin at the crowd when your supposed to be lookin where your going
    P.S. Its hard to see the crowd at over 100mph:devil:
    Old Hawaiian Cruiser do you have any pics of your boat? Pump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast