Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor won't line up????

ghittner
    Replaced my motor and now I can't get it to line up. Front mounts are all the way down and rear is still too low. Alignment tool won't go all the way in. I R&R'ed the bell housing all the parts are back in correctly (fiber washer,spacer and spring). Is it possible to over torque the back bolts crushing the spacer spring etc? It looks like it's about 1/8 to 1/4 inch low.???? The front mounts prior to this were up approx. 1/8 from bottoming out. I've adjusted them all the way down and the front still too high. What do now?????

jkh04200
    How old is the coupler?

ghittner
    Couplers good, rear of engine is too low

jkh04200
    I had the same kind of problem with mine. First off make sure your alingment tool is straight. Roll it on a flat surface. Sounds rediculous I know, but mine was bent. The supply house went through three of them before we found a straingt one.
    If its straight install the tool as far as you can by hand. Tap on the end of it with a hammer. Twist the alingment tool with pliers and pull it out. Keep doing this until it goes all the way in. The splines on the coupler can get a point on them that will not allow the tool to slide all the way in. Then apply the grease and look at the grooves and adjust from there.
    One other thing did you remember to install the square washers on the inner transom ring? Or did you even remove the inner?

ghittner
    I had the same kind of problem with mine. First off make sure your alingment tool is straight. Roll it on a flat surface. Sounds rediculous I know, but mine was bent. The supply house went through three of them before we found a straingt one.
    If its straight install the tool as far as you can by hand. Tap on the end of it with a hammer. Twist the alingment tool with pliers and pull it out. Keep doing this until it goes all the way in. The splines on the coupler can get a point on them that will not allow the tool to slide all the way in. Then apply the grease and look at the grooves and adjust from there.
    One other thing did you remember to install the square washers on the inner transom ring? Or did you even remove the inner?
    Used round washers becuse the squares were corroded. Does it matter?

jkh04200
    I'm not sure. I replaced my transon and everything else. So, ofcourse I had to completley remove the drive unit. Inside and outside. From what I recall, in the service manual, they were very adament sp.? about the fiber washers and springs on the bellhousing area. Which you said you did. And also on the square washers on the innner transom ring. Would a standard round washer work? I, cant say.

jkh04200
    Wait a minute. If the alingment tool will start but wont go all the way. Its not the back of the motor. Try the hammer trick I told you about. I had to. After that the tool slides in all the way. Now, it does take a little force but not much.

ghittner
    Wait a minute. If the alingment tool will start but wont go all the way. Its not the back of the motor. Try the hammer trick I told you about. I had to. After that the tool slides in all the way. Now, it does take a little force but not much.
    OK, I lifted the rear and have a pipe inside the coupler and extending through the gimbal. 1/8th inch up gets my alignment perfect. I'm going to tap on the tool and see if it will get in further as you suggest, I have a feeling I have the sharp edges you talked about. As far as the alignment, all the pieces are in correctly so I'll have to double stack the fiber washers as I have two new ones and see how that gets me. Anyone have a huge problem with the two washers?

ghittner
    Double stacked the fiber washers and it aligns perfectly.

Craig
    I had the same problem. I had somehow moved the bearing inside the transom adapter. Stuck the tool in half way and rotated the bearing down some. Then used an engine hoist on the front of the motor to raise and lower it. Got it where the tool goes in and out with two fingers, then ran the front mount stud nuts uo to the mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast