Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter?

Super D
    What oil filters do you think are the best, and also the worst?

gnarley
    Fram near the Bottom!
    Wix near the Top
    And I should mention the Oberg if you have the money!
    [ May 01, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

hack job
    i like baldwin filters ! they cost more than your avarage filter but they are well worht the money!!! wink

396_Z
    Baldwins are among the best available, Fram's the worst.
    AC Delco's are alright and as much as I hate to say it but if you run a F*rd Motorcraft's are one of the better choices.
    Stay far away from Fram, penzoil, allied and any of the other generic brands.

I'd rank K&N and Baldwin and Wix near the top.
    We have K&N's, Baldwins, and Frams so folks have a choice. Some guys swear by Frams. Some hate em. I've seen the pressure tests and the cutaways. My motor would get a K&N or Baldwin.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I was curious so I pulled every brand off our shelf and cut each one open(Meaning brand). I have found out that fram is made very poor. Stp is a little better. I have been running stp because of the frequent oil changes. It gets expensive fast. Here's my personal rank with what we carry @ Autozone.
    #1-Moblie 1
    #2-Bosch
    #3-ac-delco and motorcraft
    #4-stp
    #5-fram
    Although,IMO- fram air filters are better than stp!Just my little pennies though.

21rayson
    i like system one oil filters myself buy it once and pull it apart and clean it and you can see whats going with the internals.just my opinion.

Fired Up
    Here in Ventura County there is a commercial fueling station that pumps to the truckers, but also sells oil and filters and other automotive parts. Its called McValley Oil. I buy my Wix filters for $5.00 for my BBC. They also sell the tall filter for a little more.

wfodude
    I worked for many years in an auto machine shop.We decided to buy EVERY filter we could and cut them open and whatever was the best quality we would sell.The best was WIX which is the same as the napa gold series.Baldwin was also a very good filter.I cant comment on the k&n because they were not available and I have no experience with them.At the BOTTOM of the list was fram. We had a display that had the opened filters to show customers and some thought we messed with the fram because it was of such an inferior quality.I personally use a system 1 on my alky motor because of the frequent oil changes but for all my vehicles its WIX.oh yeah and nooooooo pennzoil.

wfodude:
    I worked for many years in an auto machine shop.We decided to buy EVERY filter we could and cut them open and whatever was the best quality we would sell.The best was WIX which is the same as the napa gold series.Baldwin was also a very good filter.I cant comment on the k&n because they were not available and I have no experience with them.At the BOTTOM of the list was fram. We had a display that had the opened filters to show customers and some thought we messed with the fram because it was of such an inferior quality.I personally use a system 1 on my alky motor because of the frequent oil changes but for all my vehicles its WIX.oh yeah and nooooooo pennzoil. That idea for a cut open display is a good one. I think I'll build one (later )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast