Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 wheelers - blowing a bead - flammable

Spotondl
    Have a buddy stuck in the woods right now with a tire off the bead. He called me wanting to know how to get the bead reseated and I know you can use lighter fluid and a match to blow the bead back on but I have never had to do it myself. How is this best done?
    Thanks...

phebus
    I've always used a ratchet strap around the center of the tire to push the sidewalls out and seat the bead.

squirt'nmyload
    i've done it with starting fluid.....it was a 38.5in gumbo mudder bias ply. just spray around the bead, light and run away
    edit: it did take a couple of tries to figure out how much fluid to spray in there.....it goes boom but didn't want it to really go boom

squirt'nmyload
    I've always used a ratchet strap around the center of the tire to push the sidewalls out and seat the bead.
    been down that road too.........good call

Spotondl
    Will the ratchet strap deal work with one of those 12 volt compressors? He doesn't have any compressed air...

boats&bars
    Starting fuid, tell you friend not to burn down the forrest

Spotondl
    i've done it with starting fluid.....it was a 38.5in gumbo mudder bias ply. just spray around the bead, light and run away
    This is how I have always understood it to be done, but how much lighter fluid is too much? LOL

squirt'nmyload
    This is how I have always understood it to be done, but how much lighter fluid is too much? LOL
    i edited my post.....it takes a couple tries, tell him to go easy on it at first

Bense468
    I've uesd starter fluid, gas many of times out in glamis. However it usually catches on fire but with sand you can put it out real quick. It works, just make sure he can smother it if it lights up...esp in the woods.
    You normally have to fill the tire after its back on the bead.

Spotondl
    i edited my post.....it takes a couple tries, tell him to go easy on it at first
    On the phone with him right now... I let you know what happens...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast