Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velvet Drive VS Power Glide

MWJSOne
    I know the VD weighs in at a massive 75 plus pounds and robs about 25 to 50 hp other than FNR
    how does the Velvet stand up to a Powerglide in a lake racer drag boat Flat???
    and with a Velvet what is the best one Thanks
    Drags are 700ft
    77 Rayson Craft (high side ski boat)
    468 Gen V 600hp give or take
    Calsalle box 3 blade prop

PE 316
    This may NOT be what you want to hear...
    Forget either one and go without a transmission in a flat!

BOTTOMS UP BILL
    It replaces a velvet and wieghs 32 pounds and handle's 600 hp.
    If you do decide to go with one? boat will be faster and run better without it.
    Billy
    bottomsupboatrepair.com

LeE ss13
    What he said!!!

Racey
    Really don't need or want to be running a tranny in a flat, you can't back the thing up without sinking it or coming damn close anyway.... Crash boxes or an in-out on the prop shaft work well.
    Huber Marine claims it's beefed up velvet drives only rob 9hp, personally i like the velvet drive over the powerglide in a boat if your engine can pull 1:1 out of the hole without being a dog, having the 1:1 reverse is the real selling point of the Velvet. 2 speeds are necessary when you are pulling a high gear in your V-drive and you need the low to come out of the water easier, but backing them up, manuevering around the dock with them etc is chitty compared to having a velvet drive, you never have to give it any throttle in reverse to move anywhere or slow yourself down coming into the dock with the velvet drive.

GofastRacer
    BEST advice there is!...

Dkahnjob
    [QUOTE=MWJSOne;2778348]I know the VD weighs in at a massive 75 plus pounds and robs about 25 to 50 hp other than FNR
    how does the Velvet stand up to a Powerglide in a lake racer drag boat Flat???
    and with a Velvet what is the best one Thanks
    I Run a Turbo 400 (A-1 Racing, Marine transmissions) in my Barron Sprint. It works great, backing up is no problem, typical inboard, can't steer in reverse (it goes to the right). But since you already know what it is going to do, easy to use it to your advantage and always dock on the right side. I have 37% overdrive in the V-drive, so I use 1st gear to go slow in the harbors, and pull out in 2nd gear and then shift to 3rd gear. Works great, I love it. It has been in the boat for 18 years, no problems. Reverse shift pattern and marine coupler instead of a torque converter.
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...nt013Small.jpg

jockorace
    Everything DKAHNJOB said is exactly what I've said about the T400 in all the 20-21' daycruisers & tunnel ve-drives I've had.
    I just sold my blown Sanger flat that I ran a 72C Velvet Drive in. You could race it, ski with it, park & maneuver the boat great. Powerglides are useless due to the incorrect 1st gear ratio(1:76-1), which is too low to leave with (compared to a 2nd gear T400 (1:48-1) . My.02 cents Jocko

Schiada Time
    I run an Art Carr Turbo 400 in my '22 Schiada and its great. It was set-up with a reverse shift pattern manual valve body and runs a spline drive instead of a TQ. Converter. I cruise the marina between 1st and 2nd and pull out of the hull in 2nd and then hit 3rd. Cruise about 3000 rpm with a C-500 loaded with 5% gears and a 12x15 Menkens 3 blade. Boat revvs to 5000-5200 and probably goes about 60 MPH tops. Great family cruiser. running a 502 BBC. It is nice to have the transmission although in a flatbottom I would say in and out is the only way-keeps it old school.
    ST

Unchained
    I know running direct drive is the old school way to go but that is one of the things that kept me from a v drive for so many years. I've watched them many times.
    I've got an Art Carr TH400 that they dyno'ed and guaranteed to hold 1800 hp.
    It has worked great for me. I use reverse and all the speeds everytime out.
    Easy to idle through no wake zones, start and idle in neutral, pull skiers, inch along to take up rope slack, etc.
    As far as the extra weight......I don't notice it because the performance is so far over the top for a lake boat already. No other lake boats will race me, especially after this last weekend. I remember Infomaniac posting the same situation a few years ago concerning his vdrive tunnel boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast