Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: West LA VA Land

eliminatedsprinter
    Thnaks for for the info.
    No problem. That land was willed for use by Veterans in the 1880s, long before the V.A. even existed as a federal agency. I have worked for the V.A. a little over 24 years and they have been trying to figure out a way to get around the terms of the will and sell off or lease some of that unused land at WLA since long before I started working for the V.A.

never_fast_enuf
    There has been no move to stop funding the soldiers.
    With a comment like that, there is nothing left BUT to be condescending. Either you are not being honest or you are ignorant of the facts. Either way, you deserve what you get.

never_fast_enuf
    No problem. That land was willed for use by Veterans in the 1880s, long before the V.A. even existed as a federal agency. I have worked for the V.A. a little over 24 years and they have been trying to figure out a way to get around the terms of the will and sell off or lease some of that unused land at WLA since long before I started working for the V.A.
    If you look at the location, there is also a massive NIMBY movement going on by very influential people. Of course, the democrats have used this as another political football...
    Somehow this will all end up being Bush's fault.

eliminatedsprinter
    If you look at the location, there is also a massive NIMBY movement going on by very influential people. Of course, the democrats have used this as another political football...
    Somehow this will all end up being Bush's fault.
    Absolutly. The NIMBYs on the westside hate having the VA there, so they have worked hard to block any efforts to increase that land's use by veterans. They also fear any additional development that might occure if that land is sold to any private interests. So they work to block any increased veterans use of the land, as well as any efforts to sell or lease out the unused land for private use.

ULTRA26 # 1
    There was a time that Sawtelle was a good facility. My Grandfather used it a few times. Apparently, this has changed. It's not like both parties don't have enough egg on theirs faces, we surely don't need media bias making it worse.
    the original thread in the Sandbar about this issue, opened by claiming the Feinstein attached a rider to a bill that stole 6 billion from the VA and gave it to Beverly Hills.
    Based on the will, it seems like the VA and the Nimbys are arguing over nothing. VA can't sell or lease, VA can use for the VA as it desires.
    Of course it is Bush's fault

eliminatedsprinter
    There was a time that Sawtelle was a good facility. My Grandfather used it a few times. Apparently, this has changed. It's not like both parties don't have enough egg on theirs faces, we surely don't need media bias making it worse.
    the original thread in the Sandbar about this issue, opened by claiming the Feinstein attached a rider to a bill that stole 6 billion from the VA and gave it to Beverly Hills.
    Based on the will, it seems like the VA and the Nimbys are arguing over nothing. VA can't sell or lease, VA can use for the VA as it desires.
    Of course it is Bush's fault
    WLA has some good departments, but overall it has the lowest customer satisfaction ratings in the region and one of the worst in the nation (for many years now).
    It's not quite that simple. In a nutshell the V.A. has been looking for as much wiggle room in the terms of the will as it can, in order to either lease, sell, or make greater use of the land at WLA. The heirs have thus far sucsessfully blocked efforts to sell or lease out the land (at least for private use) and the NIMBYs have blocked most efforts to get more use from the land for veterans use (they fear more use by vets will bring more traffic and (gasp) more homeless vets into their fancy shmancy (democrat dominated ) neighborhoods.

ULTRA26 # 1
    WLA has some good departments, but overall it has the lowest customer satisfaction ratings in the region and one of the worst in the nation (for many years now).
    It's not quite that simple. In a nutshell the V.A. has been looking for as much wiggle room in the terms of the will as it can, in order to either lease, sell, or make greater use of the land at WLA. The heirs have thus far sucsessfully blocked efforts to sell or lease out the land (at least for private use) and the NIMBYs have blocked most efforts to get more use from the land for veterans use (they fear more use by vets will bring more traffic and (gasp) more homeless vets into their fancy shmancy (democrat dominated ) neighborhoods.
    What types of NIMBY efforts have been successful with regard to the VA not using the land and/or facility to benefit Vets?

eliminatedsprinter
    What types of NIMBY efforts have been successful with regard to the VA not using the land and/or facility to benefit Vets?
    There have been several unsucsessful attempts to make more use of that land over the years. Right now there is a new homeless center going in there, but it has taken many years of fighting (aginst local NIMBYs) to get it and the local NIMBYs are very rich and powerful, so the fight may not be over yet.

ULTRA26 # 1
    There have been several unsucsessful attempts to make more use of that land over the years. Right now there is a new homeless center going in there, but it has taken many years of fighting (aginst local NIMBYs) to get it and the local NIMBYs are very rich and powerful, so the fight may not be over yet.
    I would like to see the money people give it a rest. There are many homeless Vets, that deserve better. I had many friends leave for Nam as one person and return as another. Again, Vets deserve better.

eliminatedsprinter
    I would like to see the money people give it a rest. There are many homeless Vets, that deserve better. I had many friends leave for Nam as one person and return as another. Again, Vets deserve better.
    I know my job would be easier if there was a good homeless vet center at my facility. There is supposed to be one here by 2009. We had an out pt homeless program, but it was cut out as part of "Mr Gore's 7 year plan for reinventing the VA". Believe it or not, the building of such centers has actually increased under the Bush Administration.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast