Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PORT WORK

ed bullock
    wow i had my throttle come loose at high speed is there something i should ckeck for damage? why would this damage a motor?

TIMEBOMB
    What came loose was the center pivot bolt. Which controls both the throttle butterflies and the timing. The throttle still worked but the timing was able to flop around where ever it wanted to. W.o.t but no timing advance, the engine started detonating, cause the piston to act as a heat sync and expand. The piston ring locating pin is steel and the piston is aluminum. The piston swells and the locating pin falls out. Both damaging the cylinder bore and allowing the rings to rotate around and start breaking off as the gap rotates in front of the ports. Then the rings come apart and cause more damage, starts making a lot of racket and loss of power. A good compression check will usally detect if any damage to the cylinder is done. In my case it is usally the popping and snorting of the piston banging the left over ring parts into the head. That's all I am going to say about that. Gary.

Boat Racer
    ANYONE GOT A MANUAL, TELLING WHERE TO SET THE TIMING ON A (93)2.5?

ed bullock
    my throttle adjust came loode and popped out of its resting place . the motor shut down like you hit a kill switch. put back into place and seems to work ok. no bad noises no loss of power.

HavasuDreamin'
    You Te:
    Hey HavasuDreamin,
    Just to let you know ED Lane passed away about 1-1/2 years ago. Holy smokes. Sorry to hear about that. I never dealt with Ed per say, we always dealt with Bill Peters and Jimmie, however I know that Ed was the one who rebuilt a lot of the hi-po motors out of DS Marine.
    frown

TIMEBOMB
    Boatracer: I have a manual. I'll look it up tomorow. I'll send you an email with the specs.
    Ed: Should be ok, there is a spring on the pivot bolt that will return the throttle to idle. Should have kept running but the fast closing of the butterflies might have just shut the motor down. Later, Gary.

Boat Racer
    Thanks TIMEBOMB!!!!!!
    [ April 05, 2003, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

TIMEBOMB
    Slept all day and I'll send it Sunday

TIMEBOMB
    Boatracer check your pm. Gary.

TIMEBOMB
    Scott, sent ya a pm about a year ago, no response. I guessed you were pretty busy. Should have the motor together some time next week. Waiting on gaskets from Merc and heads from Simonmotor sports in San Diego. Still have 1 good block to build. Nothing fancy just a stock 2.4 efi with a little shaved off the heads. Email me or get my number from Pascavis and We'll get together for a lake trip. Later Gary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast