Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's been to kauai?

MBlaster
    Leaving on the 20th for 9 days.
    We rented a house on the beach at Hanalei Bay, and rented a car.
    Any suggestions on good restaurants or stuff we gotta do?
    We are up for exploring or anything fun.

CampbellCarl
    I know nothing about which island is which..........you must do the Arizona Memorial......all of it. Moved me as I have never been moved before or since.
    CC

speedymopars
    There are many places to do - but you can cover the island in 4 days. You are staying in the tropical rain forest part of the island, Take the road south (then west) and you will end up in the Hawaiian grand canyon. You won't believe it is the same island. At the end of the road, hike the few miles and you will see more rainbows than you have ever seen in your life. Doub;e / triple.etc- at the rainiest place on earth.

Boatcop
    There are many places to do - but you can cover the island in 4 days. You are staying in the tropical rain forest part of the island, Take the road south (then west) and you will end up in the Hawaiian grand canyon. You won't believe it is the same island. At the end of the road, hike the few miles and you will see more rainbows than you have ever seen in your life. Doub;e / triple.etc- at the rainiest place on earth.
    What he said. But bring warm clothes.
    We stayed at the Coco Palms many years ago, before the hurricane wiped out half the Island. It was in the high 80s on the beach, but when we got to the top it was about 50.
    You can also go the windward side and roll around on the flat beach like Richard Chamberlain in the Thornbirds.

Ziggy
    Starting from the far west end. West of the canyon down along the coast keep going and drive thru the cane fields and you come to a big sandy beach state park, its sorta close to a USNaval area. Heading east and local towns you find lots of shopping. RedDirtShirts are popular there, dyed with the red soil locally.
    The salt ponds ar cool to check out, nice little beach there too. Black sand beach between there and Poipu. Cool little local bar/grill by Poipu is called the Kaloa Broiler. When you order your choice of meat they bring it to you in foil and you grill it yourself on a big shared grill. Comes with all you can eat beans and other goodies.
    Some nice waterfalls between Poipu and the airport.
    Go do the touristy thing and check out the Fern Grotto.
    Look for the sleeping giant formation in the mountains as you drive along the eastern shores.
    Great golf in Princeville.
    Nice lava shores you can explore in that area, we hiked to Queens bath which is a pool of ocean water that is nice to swim in at low tide, sometimes waves will come over the edges. Supposed to be healing waters that the queen would bathe in to heal ailments.
    Nice river to kayak up below Princeville.
    Tunnels Reef beach is about there, great snorkeling there cuz you're protected by the reefs a mile out. Snorkeling over lava, lots of fish hiding and even some turtles(don't touch them).
    Stop and check out both the wet and dry caves along this stretch.
    And all the way to the end of the road is a nice beach and trail heads for hiking along the Napili coast, cliffside trails have awesome views. About an hours hike or less you come to a nice cove with caves and beautiful sandy beach.
    Beautiful Island, anywwhere you go it has its own unique appeal. Have fun, you have plenty of days to see most of the island and relax on the beaches.

TCHB
    Go to the beach right in front of the Hyatt Hotel over by POI Pu beach.
    Nice beach and waves when it break also great place for dinner.

H4215
    Grew up on Maui, but I have spent some time on Kauai. Traffic will be more of a factor than expected. Great thing about Kauai is it's so evenly distributed as far as tourist locations and local spots, people as well; so go check out the tourist stuff and you'll still be exposed to the real Hawaii. Just like Speedymopars said you must see Waimea Canyon ( called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific ), pack a picnic there are a few places for a great lunch with a spectacular view. Hanalei is very beautiful and the beaches in the area are great, especially the Queen's beach where they filmed South Pacific ( they sing about the fictious Bali Hai, the 2 small islands just offshore ). If you want to learn about the Island, the people, the flora and fauna, and the culture then check out the Smith's River Tour. They'll get touristy on ya because it's a business, but you should find the river portion casual. Kauai's version of Hot Boat with wakeboard boats, but the pads on the river there are nice. Most of your good restaurants are in the Poipu area which you'll want to check out because of the Lighthouse and Spouting Horn. On the same side as Waimea Canyon is Polihale Beach; this is a fantastic beach for privacy and views, it is hella long and even when its busy at Polihale you'll still have a 100 yards of beach all to yourself. This is a long drive because it is best accessed thru the Cane Fields and it is slow going, also get detailed directions from a local because you definitely don't want to run into locals doin' business; not a good area to exploratory drive. If you want to try Local Kine grinds ( local food ) Oki's in Lihue is pretty good. If your feeling adventurous food wise try a Puka Dog at the mall behind Roy's in Poipu, there is also a burger joint over on the side of the island your staying; it's right in the middle of the town and I think it's called Bubba's. Sorry I forget the name of the town, but with 9 days you guys will know your way around the island better than I do. I also heard the Plantation just outside Lihue on the way to Poipu is pretty good. If you're going to go after the Luau thing the only one to go to is the one at the Smith's Tropical Gardens right by the river tour. I'm sure you didn't know that Smith is a Hawaiian name, but in this case it is and they're my Ohana. It's not the best Luau on all the Islands, but it is the best one on Kauai. There is a great restaurant to get a sunset meal in Lawai Beach right by Poipu. Kauai is a great island and I'm sure whatever you choose to do, you'll have a wonderful trip; but of course I'm bias. If you have any specific questions let me know.

MBlaster
    Cool thanks guys.

caroftheweek
    Starting from the far west end. West of the canyon down along the coast keep going and drive thru the cane fields and you come to a big sandy beach state park, its sorta close to a USNaval area. Heading east and local towns you find lots of shopping. RedDirtShirts are popular there, dyed with the red soil locally.
    The salt ponds ar cool to check out, nice little beach there too. Black sand beach between there and Poipu. Cool little local bar/grill by Poipu is called the Kaloa Broiler. When you order your choice of meat they bring it to you in foil and you grill it yourself on a big shared grill. Comes with all you can eat beans and other goodies.
    Some nice waterfalls between Poipu and the airport.
    Go do the touristy thing and check out the Fern Grotto.
    Look for the sleeping giant formation in the mountains as you drive along the eastern shores.
    Great golf in Princeville.
    Nice lava shores you can explore in that area, we hiked to Queens bath which is a pool of ocean water that is nice to swim in at low tide, sometimes waves will come over the edges. Supposed to be healing waters that the queen would bathe in to heal ailments.
    Nice river to kayak up below Princeville.
    Tunnels Reef beach is about there, great snorkeling there cuz you're protected by the reefs a mile out. Snorkeling over lava, lots of fish hiding and even some turtles(don't touch them).
    Stop and check out both the wet and dry caves along this stretch.
    And all the way to the end of the road is a nice beach and trail heads for hiking along the Napili coast, cliffside trails have awesome views. About an hours hike or less you come to a nice cove with caves and beautiful sandy beach.
    Beautiful Island, anywwhere you go it has its own unique appeal. Have fun, you have plenty of days to see most of the island and relax on the beaches.
    you pretty much described what we did on our honeymoon...you missed a couple things .
    we put 600 miles on our rental jeep. we drove the piss out of that thing. as all have said the island is very diverse and beautiful everywhere. Have a good time. watch out for the roosters. they are everywhere.

boatsnblondes
    Chris and I spent 12 days there at Princeville before heading over to Maui for another 5. I like the Northern end of the island....lot more quaint, not so much traffic, quaint little villages to stop and explore, have lunch or dinner and do some shopping. Bali Hai <sp> is also a great beach..just take the main road North, around the top, till it ends... Try the Luau at Princeville also...something to remember. As for fun, we did this AWESOME hlicopter ride off the southern end of the island..hour drive from the hotel. Hughes 500 chopper, no doors. I have awesome footage of the island I shot just holding the camera out the side of the chopper. Most good hotel conciege can help you with that. They also land at a little lagoon and hike in,you do a little swimming for a while, have some lunch, again, they hike it in, and then back to the airport....great time. Other than that, i have always felt it was the most quiet of the islands....just a great place to spend time with one another..we are going back next year for a week...can't wait. Hope this helps..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast